hole in water pump housing

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I installed a new water pump kit in my 1992 90 horse rude v-4 crossflow and noticed that there was a small hole in the housing. this hole looks to be made in there from the factory. i turned the prop with the muffs on and the lower unit off and water came out the hole like a straight stream. I assume it might be for vent or somthing like that but it sure seems like it would just shoot water like all get out inside the legg of the engine, as well as seems as it would cost me optimal preasure. the pump housing is white in color and the part number is as follows 5001594.I thought somthing was wrong with it having that hole so i bought a new one same thing. i am sure its there for a reason but to me its pretty retarded to put a hole in there knowing it will affect the preasure.

Laddies

Banned
Re: hole in water pump housing

its a drain down hole to keep the pump freezing in cold weather

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It's a vent hole to exspell air from the pump housing to aid in self priming the pump.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have seen pumps that did not have this hole, why mine? sure seems as you would loose alot of water preasure there, not to mention all that water just spraying in the leg shootin upward. I seen some water coming out around the front lower part of the engine when running wide open,<br /> Is that where this water may be coming from you think?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

That hole is to help fill the midsection around the exhaust pipe for cooling and quieting, when the motor is first fired up and the block has not filled up with water yet. It also helps expell air when "wave jumping" but that is not its primary function. Bleeding trapped air is accomplished thru the vent area just above the oring in the top of the water pump housing, and thru the small hole in the top of the stainless steel cup.<br /><br />The 1993 and later "split line" gearcases use a similar water pump housing without the hole.