hole in the side of piston?

myket1

Cadet
I have a 90hsp 1992 Mariner 3cyl 2stk.<br /><br />I recently took apart to see why it ran so bad last year and found a hole in the side of one of the pistons. I assumed that the rings may have been bad but was surprised to see a hole in the side. I need help with a few things.<br /><br />1. Why would there be a hole in the side?<br /><br />2. Do I need to take off flywheel to replace piston? If so, is it true that I should not use a traditional puller and only use the one mercury suggests?<br /><br />3. Is there anything else that would be prudent to do while I have this thing apart? I would love to keep costs down but I don't want to take the motor apart again if I can do some preventative work while I am in there.<br /><br />Please help me, I live in Northern Illinois and the short season is about to start.<br /><br />Thanks to all that take the time to help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: hole in the side of piston?

do all the pistons have a hole?<br />some pistons were made with boost ports and skirts that were cut. can you post a pic ?

myket1

Cadet
Re: hole in the side of piston?

No, it is not a perfect hole. It is "blown out". Not normal for sure, something went wrong. The rings are tore up as well.