Hole in Lower unit supposed to be there?

jackyack18

Cadet
I have a question about my mercury 1150 there is a small hole on the outside of the lower unit causing my gear oil to run out, but this isn't an ordinary hole i looked in my manual and it has nothing about it, but the hole does not looked like it was chipped, chunked, or even put there by someone else, this looks like its from the factory! I just don't understand why this hole would be there and cause my gear oil to leak out like its doing. I am going to attach a diagram that shows the exact location of this hole (the hole is about 3/16") very small but looks like it should be there for some reason...If anyone could help and let me know what this hole does before i put JB weld on the thing! Thanks

hole in lower unit!.jpg

Motor is 1979 Mercury 1150 inline 6
Boat is 1970 17ft Renken Fiberglass hull

Anyone have any IDEAS?

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hole in Lower unit supposed to be there?

On my 850 that hole is located at the bottom of the cavity where the shift shaft goes into the lower unit through the shift shaft seal. If your getting oil out of the hole, you may want to check and see if your shift shaft seal(s) are leaking. The seals would be visable only after the lower unit is removed.

Hope this helps

EE

jackyack18

Cadet
Re: Hole in Lower unit supposed to be there?

Well its deifnatly gear oil becuase I just put it in to take it out on its maiden voyage after a month of restoration. I took it out for the first time on sunday for about an hour took it home and didn't notice any gear oil leaking out, but then when i took it back on monday for about 3 hours i noticed that when i got back into the driveway my green oil was oozing out of my lower unit and was a worried that there was a crack in the aluminum, but then i figured that this hole was supposed to be there for some reason. From the information you just gave me there is something wrong with the lower unit? I replaced the water pump and put new seals in but didn't check the seals on my lower unit and reverse lock, the only thing i checked was that little plastic plug that the reverse lock goes on to engage it...I will investigate further this weekend before going out! Thanks for the quick replys guys your knowledge is much appreciated!