Holding water

dannyboy7

Cadet
I recently purchased a 86 Stratos and came across something puzzling while making repairs. While re attaching the Transducer cable to the transom, I removed three screws below the main plug that were caulked in place, and one of them leaked a lot of rusty water. The puzzling thing is that I have had the main plug out of the boat for a week. Where could this water be coming from? Should I be worried? I did see a bubble in the upper part of the transom gel coat where the water could be coming in, but not sure.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Holding water

very worried, you have a water soaked transom. probably rotted on well on the way. very possibly stringers involved also. take a 1/4 drill bit, and drill a couple of test holes in the transom. it wood shaving are wet, or mush, plan on a transom rebuild. if the are not wet, seal the hole with 3m 5200 or marine tex.

dannyboy7

Cadet

Ouch, that sounds like money flowing out the back side! Is this a common issue and should one not attach or drill mounting holes on Transom?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

This is a very common problem with older boats. It is caused primarily by folks polking holes in the glass to attach something and not using the proper sealent to keep the water out. Of course there were manufacturers who didn't seal the wood properly when they were built.

dannyboy7

Cadet

Should I be worried about more water in the hull that didn't come out? How would I find it with out drilling more holes in the transom?

ziggy

Admiral

Should I be worried about more water in the hull that didn't come out?
i ain't the pro here, but i'd think, yes..... just like any wood exposed to water, the wood eventually soaks it up to the point of water logged. then it rots

How would I find it with out drilling more holes in the transom?
unless you can find a place to see thru the fiberglass to the wood, i don't think you can.... my boat that had wood rot in it i could not find untill i drilled test holes...... ya could always put yer hole where ya want yer new transducer mounted at.......