Hog Wild in Texas

LadyFish

Admiral
Texas is Hog Tied <br />By Jennifer Harper<br />THE WASHINGTON TIMES<br /><br />Texas is hogtied. Wild pigs are closing in on other states, too.<br /><br />The Lone Star State is grappling with the nation's largest population of feral pigs — squealing, rooting hordes of hogs that can destroy farmland and wildlife habitats, sully public parks, attack pets and domestic animals, and spread diseases such as tuberculosis and even anthrax to farm animals.<br /><br />The dreaded and free-roaming sus scrofa — also known as wild boars, piney-woods rooters, razorbacks, hawgs and a host of other monikers — now are thought to number 2 million in Texas alone. <br />--------------------------------------<br /><br />I don't get it. This is Texas, the land of cowboys and guns.
img12.gif
<br /><br />C'mon y'all let's have us a downhome BBQ.
yum.gif
Invite all our iboats friends, afterall gunner is buying the beer. :p

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Hog Wild in Texas

I'll tell you what, if we had that "problem" here, I would be having porky pig on the spit every weekend.<br /><br />As it is, I have to buy a roaster hog every year for our annual piggy roast. I'd love to be able to go out back and stick one.

oddjob

Commander

I'm all for it lady fish. I used to take several every year. Fiqured out how to cook em and smoke em. The problem is that there are not enough hunters that will mess with them and they can make piglets four time a year. <br /><br />I only hunt as a guest on my fathers lease one or two weekends a year. I skipped the last several years since I live farther away now from the property Near Cocoa BcH. In the past I would not be choosey and shot as many as I could eat or give away. Its exellent live target practice .In Florida you can hunt them year around.<br /> This year I avoided them during deer season and got a nice doe. But I plan to take one this summer if dad is willing to brave the heat. Lots of fun and a healthier (lean) pork. Almost as lean as deer so it takes some adjustments to cook without drying out. Just dont leave any yellow tallow/fat on it before you cook it.... :eek: <br /><br />Edit/add:
f9035e94.jpg
<br /><br />Theres a couple of small ones these other fellas got alongside my doe. You have to be an extremely poor hunter to come up empty if your hunting hogs down here. Were not as big as Texas, but you can bag some big one here as well if your willing to go into the Chit to get them. Very exciting when your all alone!<br /><br />Skinning my doe is my father teaching his grandsons how to skin a deer.

KennyKenCan

Commander

LadyFish,<br /><br />I can't believe you and your fellow Texans haven't taken the situation into your own hands and started to feed all the homeless and illegals there.<br /><br />Just seems that them pigs would make great free meals to those who need one, without burdoning the welfare system there.<br /><br />And what, they outlaw hunting there or something?<br /><br />Time for you Texans to take them guns outta that gun rack in the back window of your pick-up trucks, and use them, instead of just polishing them so they look good in the window!!!!<br /><br />You guys could go "Hog Wild" on them! :D

FLATHEAD

Captain

Hey Ladyfish, I know some guys that hunt those big hogs. You are right about them critters, they can be down right mean. One of the guy hunts them with dogs and has had to take the dogs to the vet quite a few times after a run in with these big hogs. <br /><br />For those that dont know how big these little piggys get here is a photo (not me) of a texas sized hog, taken with a bow.<br /><br />
avatorblackboarandrod.jpg

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I slay them every chance I get. We cook the small ones whole and send the big ones to the butcher to have sausage and hams smoked. No restrictiona at all on hunting them. Can hunt at night with spotlight and any type of gun or arrow.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I hunted some at a friends place last Feb near Childress, TX.<br /><br />We had a slow night and only got two, coyotes broke up the herd of them. Man, they do some damage to the peanut crop in that area.<br />It's about the only cheap hunting left and most farmers will allow you to hunt them if you ask nice.<br /><br />The ones I got tasted just fine, kind of the difference between mild chedder and sharp chedder in taste. Made about 25 pounds of Bratwurst out of 'em. Still have three legs left and lots of loose meat. I'm not a butcher but the backstraps and tenderloins are easy to cut out and the animals are not hard to dress.<br /><br />You just have to know how to accessorize. :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I have also ate them, we used to barbecue the mid sized ones a few times a year and have a big ole Pachanga (party). We had a 5' X 10' live trap we would set and could catch them several at a time in there. Sort the one we wanted based on size, give some away and turned some loose. Great fun and good eatin too...

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Strewth, I wish I could reach Texas by my boat. If I could do that then there'd be a few less hogs each day for you guys to worry about. They're great hunting and eating over here, there's quite an industry living off them now!<br />I can only imagine the excitement folk from other areas must be going through just not being able to hunt there.<br />I see a commercial enterprise starting up soon to hunt these trotters down before something like swine fever sets in!!<br />Ross - real jealous!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

For those wishing to help us out heres some tips. A 5 gallon bucket with corn soaked in water for about 2 weeks makes an excellant attractant. YOur better half wont like the smell one bit but the hogs love it. Always try to take a younger hog if given the chance. Always take a sow if given the chance. A boar is edible but has more musk in the meat. If you will soak the meat for a week in a cooler it will be much better. Just put your meat in a cooler and COVER with rock salt. Ice it down and every day drain the water and add more ice. After a week rinse the meat well and butcher it up. It definetly helps. As a health note hogs carry triconosis (sp) and worms. Freeze the meat for 31 days and all of your worrys are gone. Be sure to wear gloves when butchering it also. If you do cut yourself while the hog blod is on you put it under water and "bleed" it out. Squeeze the area behind the cut for about a minute or two to help the blood come out and keep rinsing for several minutes. The lean pieces of the hog make damn fine jerky, the best I have ever made.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Here is where I got the info on pig hunting in Texas.http://www.texasboars.com/<br /><br />The two pigs I got were both boars but the meat was still pretty good. My friend hunts them a lot and his impression is the darker the hair on the pig, the muskier the meat will be.

tylerin

Commander

We hunt em here in Ca. but they look like mice compared to that peenchy puerco hanging from that tree ;) Everythings bigger in Tejas :D