Hockey questions

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys I went to an AHL hockey game the other night, and it was pretty good, cept for one question.<br /><br />Is fighting allowed?<br /><br />The refs let two guys go at it for about 1 minute. Then finally seperated them. I thought I was at a bad WWE event. Pretty stupid if you aske me, but I guess some fans like that. The whole rest of the game they broke up fights immediately. Why did they let that first one go on so long.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hockey questions

One thing is they don't like some of them right crosses that them guys can throw.<br />Watch the NHL one time and you will see the same thing.<br />They dance around, throw gloves and stuff, get down on the ice and wrestle around and the refs are there more than anything to keep the rest of the guys out of it till they can get a handle on the 2 original fighters.

11 footer

Lieutenant

As a geleral rule the refs let them fight untill they fall down, then they pull then apart.<br /><br />If the NHL gave every player a three of four thousand dollor fine and made them go to court whenever they got into a fight the fights would stop. But a five minnet penelty isn't going to stop them. Its not reallly a big deal, its almost impossable to do any damige to someone when you are fighting with them with all the pads on, you can't puch them hard because you can't plant your feet, thats where all your power comes from, your legs. When you have skates your swinging from your upper body only.<br /><br />In highschool they prevented it, on my highschool hockey team if we get it in fight we get thown off the team and suspended from school.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys. They really need to get a handle on the stupid fighting. It was really cheesy. Or else let them go at it in a proper way.<br /><br />Couple of more questions.<br /><br />Why do they change out players so frequently. Seems like every 10 seconds they would change. Is it to keep fresh legs in the game, or for strategy reasons.<br /><br />Also, can they legally stop the puck with their hands or skates then shoot it? I saw them do this several times and I thought it was illegal.<br /><br />Ken

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

To comment on the fighting issue, there are two main views on the issue. The first being, that fighting, and it is at the pro levels legal but semi-discouraged, is an essential part of the game. With players being allowed to fight they are "policing" themeselves. That being you don't see the baseball swings with sticks, spears, or other more dangerous plays. If two players stand toe to toe and are accountable to eachother for their actions then they are less likely to repeat an action that is viewed by their peers as a cheap shot. The second view is that fighting has taken some of the skill out of the game. Through the 1970's and 1980's there was at least one player on each team that was known as a goon or enforcer. The best teams usually had only one and he was usaully a decent player as well. Teams like the Edmonton Oilers were loaded with skilled players and to many people were alot more fun to watch as they offensive playmaking was faster and more crisp than many other teams who tried to use intimidation. In either case fighting is a part of the game that will never be completely removed and in my opinion needs to remain at some level, although not in the amateur leagues.<br /><br />The reason line changes are so quick, usally 30-45 seconds is the speed and physical stress of each shift are truelly enormous. To put in terms of another sport, a football play is usaully a 20-30 seconds followed by 20-30 seconds of rest. That being said those players are not generally seeing sustained play.<br /><br />Stopping the puck with the skates or hand is perfectly legal. As long as the player doesn't close his hand on the puck, in which case a delay of game penalty should be called.<br /><br />On another note, the AHL games are usually great, Those players are trying to make hte NHL and have not reached their ultimate goal so they usually play that much harder. <br /><br />Sorry about being long winded but I hope this helps to answer some of your questions.

11 footer

Lieutenant

You always want freash legs, on my highschool we try to keep shifts under one minnet long.<br /> <br /><br />You can stop the puck with your skates, you can even kick the puck with your skates, but you can't kick it into the net. If you get the puck in your hands you have to drop it on the ice right away. If you are on the ice in your own zone and can push the puck with your hand, but you can't do it in the other teams zone or in the nutral zone.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Thanks guys for the info. We plan to go again sometime and I just wanted to know a few things so i can tell what is going on. It was a lot of fun and yu cant beat the ticket price (7 bucks!). They play was good with plenty of action.<br /><br />As for the fighting, the fight I saw seems like the guys were just putting on a show. That is what turned me off about it. Just seemed stupid cause it went on so long, and they werent really trying to hit each other very good. The refs could have easily broken it up, just two guys, and everyone else standing around watching. Thats why I said it looked like a pro wrestling match.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

One more side note on the changing of the players.<br />They always, if they can, match up players for players that are on the other team.<br /><br />Sometimes called a line change, a whole set of players will enter while the other ones exit.<br />They like to match up their players against certain players of the opposing team.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I dissagee, SBN.<br /><br />It's all happening so fast it would be inpossable for someone to figure out what the other team is doing and match players together.<br /><br />Every time I've played on from youth hockey up untill now, highschool hockey has never done that. This is the first I've heard of it.<br /><br />Most teams have three full time lines. They try to change the three forwards at around the same time and the two defence men around the same time, too.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Well all the games I watch, when one team makes a change, all the talk about is the other team making the change so they will have this match up or that match up and they do.<br /><br />The first chance they get, they change the lines so they will have the match up on the ice they want.<br /><br />ie: Big guys against big guys. Would make no sense to have smaller players trying to play against the bigger players, so they have line changes to match up the players that they want to play against.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

when 2 goons square off, it's entertainment and<br />an effort to change the momentum of the game.<br />some years back, the NHL intituted an "intagator"<br />penalty of 2 min. on top of the reg. 5min. fighting<br />penalty to try and cut back on fights. ever since,<br />there have been ton's more serious injuries. in<br />the old days, if you took a cheap shot at a player,<br />you knew there would be retribution (self police).

gaugeguy

Captain

Welcome to hockey Ken, the fastest game in the world.<br /><br />Dale, if you remember correctly, all those awesome Edmonton teams had an enforcer (Marty McSorely) to protect Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, and he did a good job doing it.<br /><br />Fighting is just a part of the "intimidation factor" of the game--especially during the long, drawn out regular season. The Playoffs start tomorrow, and you hardly ever see a fight during the playoffs.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, the Oilers did have McSorley. Funny how when Gretzky went to LA McSorley ended up there with him.<br /><br />The game is physical and that leads to aggresion which leads to fights. A part of the game that will never be completly removed. <br /><br />Now lets get the season started. <br />Go Wings!!