Hockey Fans (All 3 of Us)

NYMINUTE

Captain
They have settled, terms unavailable. 300 days. For those of die hards it is good news, for the casual fan it is a "Who Cares" :p

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hockey Fans (All 3 of Us)

File me under a die hard.......Glad to see hockey, although I prefer minor league games, a cold beer and a NHL game works fine for me.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Buffalo Sabres fan here, and certainly no stranger to disappointment. Look forward to the new season. We have a great team here in Fort Wayne, the Komets. Good agressive play, hard skating. They are in the UHL now. Were in the IHL for several decades. Tickets are reasonable for solid entertainment.

Twidget

Commander

Yep, that makes 3 of you. :) <br /><br />Seriously though, will the year without play hurt the NHL? It was on pretty slippery footing financially anyway. Im a newbie sometimes hockey fan, so I really dont know very much yet.

aspeck

Staff member

Put me under the "who cares" with all pro sports. Have a hard time with the over priced cry babies and the office management that made them that way. Both are equally to blame.<br /><br />Now College and minor leagues, that is a different story.

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

They do get paid way too much money!! I am still a diehard fan. <br />NY Minute, I can't tell you my team because they haven't won a cup yet either ;) I will look forward to watching NHL on the TV in the fall.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Aspect, college is not much differnt than the pros. Its gotten way out of control here in the last few years.<br /><br />If I see a hockey game, its the IHL cheapo version cause they are cheap and fun.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They did get paid too much. So do most "big league" athletes. I don't think they are gonna continue to get multiple megabux if the league is to survive.<br /><br />That said, a hockey game has more action than any other pro sport except maybe soccer (football in other parts of the world).<br /><br />The problem with too many Americans is that we are used to long pauses between action (baseball and football) and haven't the attention span to appreciate hockey or soccer. If Hockey had 20-30 seconds dead time between 5-10 seconds of action it would be similarly boring.<br /><br />Make that four of us.

dolluper

Captain

Yeah I'm a fan and the draft is going to be here in the crapital last I heard they were going to accept 25% less in salary and ticket prices would refect that:sure sure Wifee will be mad again no more drippy movies this winter :D :) :) :) <br />NHL, NHLPA REACH AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE ON NEW COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT<br /><br /><br />The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players’ Association have reached an agreement in principle on the terms of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.<br /><br /> <br /> <br />Details of the new Agreement will not be made available publicly pending the formal ratification process by the NHLPA Members and the NHL Board of Governors.<br /><br />It is anticipated that the ratification process will be completed next week, at which time the parties will be prepared to discuss the details of the Agreement and plans for next season.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> They did get paid too much.
There is no such thing as getting paid too much. Paying too much yes, but I'll take any dough you'll give me and keep taking it as long as you'll keep giving it to me . . . ;)

Ralph 123

Captain

Geeze I always thought there were way too many breaks in the action. Offsides, icing, etc. that killed the flow of the game and kept scoring artificially low... They were talking about rules changes to make the game faster and higher scoring. I heard getting rid of the rules I mentioned plus bigger nets and/or limitations on goalie equipment sizes, etc.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yea that stupid offsides rule has to go.<br /><br />Hockey and soccer call it offsides.<br />Basketball calls it a "fastbreak".<br /><br /><br />Ken

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Then the Whalers left Hartford....I gave up on the NHL. I go see the Springfiels Falcons AHL

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Well I'm also glad to see them coming back, so that makes five of us. Red Wings fan here, btw I think the new salary cap is gonna hurt the Wings a little but what can ya do?

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I gave up on hockey for the same reason I lost interest in Indy car racing - only 20% American. Couldn't get into cheering for the Czechs and Russkies.

dolluper

Captain

The pay cut now their talking 24% and wealthy teams supporting not so weel off teams up to 10% A salary cap Rookies start at only 850 thousand a year LIKE Sudein of Toronto going from 9 mill to 7.5 mill a year Ugenlia of Calgary from 7.5 to 5.7 mill a year Better than their strike pay of 120 thousand tax free a year I guess

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Absolute die hard here. Play 3+ nights a week and was bored beyond belief without the game, on my rare free night. I am a long time Wings fan but will watch any game I can, especially to watch the Leafs of Avs lose. <br />Spent the last week in the woods and didn't find out they settled until last night. For some reason the sodas just went down alot smoother.<br />Bass Man Bruce, with the rule changes being discussed, 2 line pass etc, the Wings, imo, wont be as bad off as many expect. Just think about Datsyuk and Zetterburg getting 2-3 breakaways agame.<br />The offsides that is being rumored to leave the game is to allow for the long break out passes. However, the puck must still enter the zone before any offensive player, but they may bring back the tag up to increase flow. In any event, the settlement is the best news i've heard in long while.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

DaleT, the rule changes are still in flux. I agree with you that Datsuk, Zetterburg, Fisher and other young guys will excell, but the Wings are probably gonna hafta cut loose a lota of vets. They have done well with this young/vet formula and I'm gonna miss some of the old guys. (Chelios, Hatcher, McCarty??? who knows?) Anyway, at least hockey is back! :) Also with Lewis gone, who knows what will happen?

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Avalanche fan from my days in Colo. Springs. Very Happy to have NHL going again! You have to blame the owners and union/agents for the high salary's. <br /><br />Any player who didn't go for what they could get would be like a production worker turning down a raise.