hmmm.no power to starter

dennisrhall

Seaman
new problem, by the way the mech. said full speed problem in the box that controls speed. now, when i hit the key it wont engage the starter, no power, but i can take all the bolts out to where the top is just sitting there i can cross ark the starter and it takes off, put all bolts in and tighten them and nothing. hmmm, puzzled. <br />1967 65 hp mercury :rolleyes:

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: hmmm.no power to starter

I'm really shooting from the hip here...I'm not familiar with your motor. But in general,that sounds like starter brushes worn down to the nub, or maybe a cracked housing.<br /><br />Best of luck.<br /><br />-dd-

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the FAQ on Outboard Wont Start, Dennis.<br /><br />If you recently had the control box apart I would suspect the Neutral Start Switch or wiring from there to the powerhead.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try a little WD-40 on the starter bendix(Gear) and see if that helps. So when you jump out the starter when it's loose, it actually turns the motor over?? What about when it's tight?? Are you getting 12 Volts to the starter selonoid when you turn the key?? If not, follow JB's advice and check the Neutral Start Switch and related wiring and maybe even the starter swithch itself.

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1969 and had same trouble, on mine as the guys say it was the neutral switch. You said it works when you cross arc it, so brushes seem to be working.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also check the harness connector at the engine. Sometimes mine will give me the same symptoms. Reseating it usually fixes the problem.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

dennisr-- are you referring to the control that has the trottle arm on it. More than likely you have a short in the control box at the switch wiring. I have the same motor as yours and had to rewire the harness at both the switch and neutral start switch. The wiring deteriates inside faster as it is not moisture proof. If you are removing the screws that hold the control box together and it starts then when you tighten them down it won't, you have a shorted wire inside the control box. before yopu take it apart get a good manual for your motor that has a control box breakdown and a wiring diagram. hope this helps.

dennisrhall

Seaman

ok guys, you all have been a help while i have been serching this problem out i found that it's a ground wire problem,IT WILL CRANK! from battery to ? i ground it from battery to engine seems like the wire gets warm while cranking,NOW WHAT? :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check the FAQ article.

Mohsali

Cadet

I didn't start my engine till yesterday. Check all the necessary wiring,bolt& nut etc add fuel but won't start. Pull out all the plug no spark... till I notice I left out one item i.e forgot to engage the ermergency stop switch to ON. Maybe this will help. :rolleyes: