HIN problems

bullit1119

Seaman Apprentice
So last year I bought a project bass boat. the title says it is a 1983 Dawson but that is all the info that is given on it. I was trying to find more info on it via a HIN search and I could not come up with anything except what was on the title. So I decided to verify the HIN from the title to the one on the transom. However, the transom HIN shows that the hull is actually a 1975 model, again with the HIN search and no luck other than it is verified as being a 1975 Dawson. Does anyone have any idea as to what I need to do from here to figure out what model Dawson I have and what to do about the "incorrect" title?

vintageglass

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As long as the HIN number on the title matches the HIN on the boat, I wouldn't be too concerned. Depending on which state your in, changing info on a title can be a real hassle.

I've got two boats which the info don't match, one is a 1964, in which the title states it to be a 1980, in this case the manufacturer of the hull was not in the computer system so they deemed it to be a homemade boat and titled it for the year the title was applied for. The original hull number was too short to fit the state requirements so they assigned a new one.

Another boat I've got has a HIN that clearly says its a 1974 model yet the state insists that its a 1988, funny thing is its been in the family since 1974, but since it wasn't titled until 1988, that's the date they put on the paperwork.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard bullit.

Do the 2 HIN numbers match? and are you currently registered or needing to get registered?

I don't know the Dawson boats at all (don't think I've ever seen one). Got any pictures of it?

bullit1119

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the replies, unfortunately the HIN's do not match the one on the hull says its a 1975 model but the one on the title( a totally different number) says its a 1983 model.

SK, i am in the process of restoring this boat so I will have to try and dig up a photo from before i took the cap off.

southkogs

Staff member
Get your paperwork sorted out with the state before you get too far into it. A couple folks here in TN have run into some very inconvenient log jams (including some crazy taxes) getting their boats put into their names. Not impossible but at least very inconvenient.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
thanks for the replies, unfortunately the HIN's do not match the one on the hull says its a 1975 model but the one on the title( a totally different number) says its a 1983 model. SK, i am in the process of restoring this boat so I will have to try and dig up a photo from before i took the cap off.
Sadly what that means is that you DO NOT have a title for your boat.... The paper you have is totally worthless unless you can find the boat it is for. You need to proceed just the same way as if you just got a boat with no title at all.... Depending on the laws of your state it COULD be a wild goose chase.

bullit1119

Seaman Apprentice
Sadly what that means is that you DO NOT have a title for your boat.... The paper you have is totally worthless unless you can find the boat it is for. You need to proceed just the same way as if you just got a boat with no title at all.... Depending on the laws of your state it COULD be a wild goose chase.

That is what I was leaning to. However here in Florida in order to apply for a lost title you have to be the last registered owner. Boat has not had stickers on it since May of 2002. Let the goose chase begin.

Thanks for reply

bullit1119

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome aboard bullit.

Do the 2 HIN numbers match? and are you currently registered or needing to get registered?

I don't know the Dawson boats at all (don't think I've ever seen one). Got any pictures of it?

Southkogs, these are the only two pictures that i have before cap removal. they aren't the greatest but I'll assure you that she ins't a beauty to look at anyhow. Not yet anyway

thumpar

Admiral
You can register it in a state that is a little easier. A friend registered his in Georgia (we are in Washington state) and was able to finally get a WA title.

bullit1119

Seaman Apprentice
You can register it in a state that is a little easier. A friend registered his in Georgia (we are in Washington state) and was able to finally get a WA title.

how did he do that? Don't you have to have a residential address in that state in order to apply for registration and/or title?

thumpar

Admiral
how did he do that? Don't you have to have a residential address in that state in order to apply for registration and/or title?
Not sure of the logistics of it. I do know that I can register my boat in Idaho even though I don't live there.

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' how it would work in GA, but in TN if you claim to boat here more than home they appreciate you getting TN numbers (legally you have to, but I don't know how they figure it out). In TN, you only need to provide a bill of sale. We don't title boats, and we don't even register trailers. Once you settle that, you can establish ownership in your own state. Likely, GA has something similar and they used that as a workaround.

Bullit - those mid-70's tri-hull bass boats were a dime-a-dozen. Everybody seemed to be makin' 'em. Depending on the beam, some were pretty nice boats for working in shallow lakes. There were a few I've been on that didn't seem quite wide enough and that made them feel kinda' tippy. Otherwise, they were nice a light so they didn't need a ton of power to make 'em scoot along.

Marc Peternell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bullit1119 - You can go to the Clerk of Courts and file for a Declaratory Judgment. If you win your case, the court would be declaring the boat yours and provide you with paperwork for the DMV to title it. I think the process costs about $300. Other than that, because of the age of the boat, you could possibly declare it as a homemade boat..