highway evacuations.

Pony

Rear Admiral
This thought came to me after seeing pictures of the freeways leaving Houston.....Is it possible to open up two lanes on the otherside of the freeway that would normally be going into the city?? Just keep one lane for emergency vehicles or the few cars that would for some reason be going into the city, and let people get on the freeway from the offramps. Im not sure if its possible or not, just my mind was thinking of ways to make these things go faster.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer
Re: highway evacuations.

Imagine the time involved to set up barriers even if its cones in the traffic that is rumored to be over 100 miles long...Im just glad to see they have going (albeit slow) in all lanes....<br />Local news station just reported weather bouys in the gulf are reading 35' waves....

Pony

Rear Admiral

No doubt it would take time and planning...but my first thought was that it could be planned out ahead of time. You could have many many construction crews laying out cones. 100 miles would take awhile, but still it might help given a 3hr drive is taking at least 12. <br /><br />But still it is great to see it all moving regardless of how slow it may be.

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer

As I recall, the New Orleans area has a "Contraflow" plan that is put into effect during evacuation situations. Other metro areas probably have the same or similar plans( I hope).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I-45 north out of Houston is all one way, North, for about 100 miles.<br /><br />Sure do hope that LF and spouse got out before the gridlock. Any other of our "family", too.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

The major problem is people that run out of gas, overheat (its 97 degree day)... a mess no matter what you do.

ehenry

Commander

My niece left Houston at 5 a.m. Thursday morning and at 11 a.m. she was still less than 100 miles from Houston. She was headed up HWY 59 to Shreveport then to Ruston, La to one of my sister's. From there she's headed on to her mothers in Madison, MS. She pulled in to Ruston this morning at 3 a.m.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My brother left Baytown this morning (Friday) and made it out with no problems.<br /><br />They did open up the contraflow lanes or some highways.<br /><br />Ken

mattttt25

Commander

"My niece left Houston at 5 a.m. Thursday morning and at 11 a.m. she was still less than 100 miles from Houston."<br /><br />you southerners don't get it. that's a normal commute around DC.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

seems the planners forgot about simple logic. to move 1 million people in 20 hours,allowing 4 hours of the 24 for loading kids wife supplies and such ,assuming 4 to a car means ya just said GO on 250,000 cars. boom, instant gridlock. law of averages says that a certain number will fail and cause slowdowns.<br /> means ya have to have 12,500 cars per hour or 208.33 cars per minute passing a given point. with no planning its not gonna happen. even with planning its still gonna be slow. even with six lanes thats 34.7 cars a minute past a given point.<br /> they should have blocked access to most onramps and provided fuel trucks and done the evac in a rolling block type evac,. seems we see it all the time, Hugo, floyd,dennis, andrew, katrina and now Rita along with many I forgot. no one seems to learn.the national gaurd has the manpower and training to control onramp access. and with proper controls and adequate fuel supplies it should average something better than 15mph.<br /> but for everyone to just holler go and no planning on where or how is sheer stupidity and lack of forsight. I heard that almost 2 million were trying to exit the entire area with 1.2 million just from the houston area. thats a lot of automobiles hauling out.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I want to hear from those who evacuated, and what routes they took in doing so... Big Interstates, or the yellow, red, and gray roads on the map?....<br /><br />After my failed attempt to evac for Frances last year, I have several new potential routes planed that don't take me anywhere near the big interstates....<br /><br /> I've even considered running my boat north up the ICW (intracostal waterway) as a means to evacuate... I plan to try a WPB to St. Augustine or Jacksonville trip in my 15 footer sometime in the spring, just to satisfy my curiousity... It's so crazy, it just might work..

oddjob

Commander

Yeah Snapper, I've thought of other ways to evacuate over the years also. THe ICW is an option one might consider. I have several obtions I've come up with for myself. For the highways, you know that the majority of the people here are not native and have no knowledge of the back roads that exist and even if they look at a map they may not attempt a chance that they are not familiar with. By road to get north I would take maybe hwy 27 and then to hwy 15. If things are still thick I would continue to take the path of least resistance left or right of the state. I would take take a CB radio along also. I havnt traveled these roads in a long time but I have somewhat of a photo-graphic memory due to many truck runs form Orlando to Naples and Miami when I worked for the old man 17 years ago. If you have a small boat or john you could also get around via the large network of Canals that connect and criss-cross all over south florida. I dont have the local knowledge of all the dikes and pump stations, But I do know that you can portage (drag a small boat) across most of them. I consider the instate water route a get out of town in the aftermath of a disaster or flood. The only people you will run in to are self -reliant like people not as many thugs or low life obstacles.<br /><br />If you live close to the coast your option is a sound one. Take a sail along if you can get one..

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We have made up our mind to only head West.<br /><br />Heading North got my sister right into the path of Rita (she is fine).<br /><br />The trick is to leave the day before everyone else leaves. And come back hours after it misses your house.<br /><br />Hopefully Houston and Texas will have a much better plan. They didnt even have any plan, and that pisses me off.<br /><br />Ken

QC

Supreme Mariner

KIZ,<br /><br />What was the condition of the freeways say 2 hours before Rita hit? Would it have made any sense to wait until the last minute? Seems like you would get three benefits by hanging tight as long as absolutely possible:<br /><br />1) You don't need to go if it changes course<br />2) You got longer to pack and re-pack . . .<br />3) Traffic might have been a lot better<br /><br />To me #3 is the whole issue. If you could safely wait and still get out, then this works as long as nobody else starts following the same plan . . . This is obviously very simple with hindsight, but just curious if it would have worked this time.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It worked for my brother, he tried to get out Thursday, but it was terrible. So he waited till Friday morning, and got out with very little problems.<br /><br />The main problem with waiting till the last minute is the freeways can be set up to flow only one way, limiting the options you have on where you can evacuate to.<br /><br />PLus you gotta think ahead and realize there will be no gas and food.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

ALso quitecat, the last 4 hours of the path of Rita greatly effected the severity of it at my house. It made a big turn to the right which saved us, but it just as easily could have turned to the left and hammered us hard.<br /><br />Also, if you search a post I made last week, it showed about the storm that flooded my family when I was 3 yrs old. We went to bed cause it had made a turn back out to the gulf, woke up at 3 am to find it had turned right back around and hit us.<br /><br />Ken

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I hear you, but it semms like you could take a bunch of doggie uppers (that would be the opposite of doggie downers) and with the car/truck all packed, wake up the wife and kids when you knew it was time.<br /><br />Sounds a lot like our boating trips to me :D

PW2

Commander

I think the lesson learned from this is that if a major metropolitan area needs to be evacuated in a short period of time, it ain't gonna happen.<br /><br />My daughter was in the Houston airport Wednesday afternoon, and she could get no cell service, and had major difficulty getting any sort of line on a pay phone.<br /><br />Our infrastructure is not set up for any sort of major emergencies. That is not a political comment--only an observation.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

PW2, I agree.<br /><br />The feds need to take a very hard long look at major evacuations.<br /><br />But I cant see us spending tons of money, just to try to save everyone. You would need roads that were 10 lanes wide, and stretch for 100 miles.<br /><br />We are just going to have to realize the fact that people will die. <br /><br />Ken