High speed run finally

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice
Re: High speed run finally

Just took circulation pump off. Looks good, this is a ex salt water boat. I flushed motor and cleaned pump. How often do you guys replace the pump on front of motor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The circulation pump only gets replaced when they fail for some reason. Usually leaks.

The raw water pump is the one you need to look at for overheat problems.

Some information as to what engine and drive you have would sure help.

vince72801

Seaman Apprentice

Don,
2002 chaparral 4.3 ser#0M099909 with muffs working great. I only had it out for a short run due to bad weather coming in. I had put a new 165 quicksilver thermostat, replaced impeller, and replaced manifolds and risers.
When running WOT at 4700rpm 50 mph the temp went up to 190, seem to hold steady at 190. I have been getting rust out of system and today I removed the circulation pump and got more crap out of the block(rust). This WAS a salt water boat. Need to take it for a longer run and see what its going to do. Taking some Boy Scouts out next month and don't want any problems.
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It shouldn't go above 180?, and being raw water cooled, it really shouldn't be going over 175?

First thing you need to do is get an IR temp gun and run the engine under load and see if your temp gauge is accurate. Nothing worse than trying to fix an engine running that says 190? when it's actually 170?
Check with the temp gun right next to the temp sender on the engine and see how they compare. They are usually within a degree or two.