High oil pressure and loss of power

djrevkev

Cadet
Hello all new to the forum and hoping to possibly get an answer. I have a 1998 Four Winn's Horizon 180 with a Volvo penta 4.3 GL. 2 weeks ago I was out in the Chesapeake and I overheated and she shut down on me. I had to get towed back to marina. Found that my raw pump blew apart. Replaced my raw pump with new along with the water pump, hoses and thermostat. Took it out on the water and was out for about 45 mins and all seemed ok untill my oil pressure spiked high running at 3k rpm and engine started running like crap with no acceleration. I nursed her back to the marina checked the oil level and was spot on and looked normal not milky. I'm confused on it running great for just about the first hour then going downhill. Should I have changed the oil and filter? Could I have possible head gasket damage. The engine didn't sound to good. Using 25w40 4 stroke marine engine oil

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say but a bad overheat can blow head gaskets. The part that’s hard to explain is the high oil pressure and running bad. I’d do a compression test check for water in the cyls at the same time and change the oil. How hot did it get and how long was it run overheated?

alldodge

Staff member
Look at the harness on the motor. Since it over heated, it may have melted so wires

djrevkev

Cadet
I changed the oil yesterday. No fix. I did pop the oil cap off while it was running and I didn't see any oil splashing around in the valve cover which I believe there should be. As far as when it overheated I'd say I ran for about 15 mins and I was running pretty hard around 3800 rpm to get back before sundown. I was thinking if I blew the head gasket it would have ran like **** after I replaced the impeller. I've heard the Volvo charcoal motors hold up pretty well but like I said I was running pretty hard. At this point looks like I'm done for the summer and have a fall/winter motor pull on my hands and possibly be replacing the oil pump. Hell I might even be better off throwing in a reman. Current motor has 325hrs on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Define high oil pressure. 50psi, 80 psi, 150 psi?

What temp did the engine get to? 200, 250? More?

If you ran without water for any length of time, did you replace the rubber exhaust hoses

Have you done a compression test? If the motor shut down due to overheat, that means you most likely got the motor hot enough to seize the pistons within the bores. Especially running for 15 minutes without water