High Capacity Fuel Pump and Accumix R

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 Johnson 15 JR15LCEC and Accumix R. I just learned that I'm supposed to be using a High Capacity Fuel Pump with my Accumix R. Can someone explain why this is necessary? I've never upgraded and the motor seems to run fine. However, it DOES seem rich with a tarry discharge. If the board thinks I should upgrade can someone provide a part # ? It is not shown @ "I-Shop Marine.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: High Capacity Fuel Pump and Accumix R

lowranger, its listed under O.B. Accessories at ishopmarine, two different pumps availale for the 1989 15hp.

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Good morning lowranger,<br /><br /> For your information I have an 8 hp Johnson that runs jusy fine with the regular pump on the Accumix R. Have a nice day. Claude. ;)

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm unclear as to which item I need. Under Accumix fuel pump are 1) fuel pump assembly for $48.25 and 2) fuel pump kit for $105.74. Here Accumix Fuel Pump

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As jc1933 mentioned what you already have is probably just fine unless you're having problems. I would want to know what the reasoning and difference is between the accumix and regular pump first.<br /><br />The kit most likely contains everything you need to convert it including the pump, gaskets etc. The 48.25 pump is just that, the pump..no gaskeet, clamps etc.<br /><br />Try comparing part #'s between the kit and the one listed in engine diagrams for that motor.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

MCM....the Accumix is a stand alone oil reservoir. The fuel line from the tank goes to the reservoir where the oil is metered to the fuel and the outlet goes to the engine. Safety device in it is, if it stops oiling, it shuts the fuel off from the engine.<br /><br />I run one on my 84" 50 Johnny. Works pretty slick....no problems.... other than it can be a real beotch to prime through the reservoir with the bulb. I'd usually hold the ball in on the engine quick connect and prime the line first before attaching to the engine.

Lowranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MCM, Here is the little guy in all his glory. Accumix R I dug up my Accumix R installation instructions and the answer was there all along. "Required Engine Modifications- 5 thru 15 models must use a high capacity fuel pump with Accumix". " 9.9-15 Manual start CU,CC, and later models use Accumix Fuel Pump Kit P/N 431959". "Required Engine Modifications- 5 thru 15 models must use a high capacity fuel pump with Accumix". " 9.9-15 Manual start CU,CC, and later models use Accumix Fuel Pump Kit P/N 431959".

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OBJ, lowranger, Thanks for the info, I wasn't familiar with it I but do look forward to learning something new.<br /><br />Also that link doesn't seem to open lowranger.<br /><br />Thanks again :D