Hideout questions for JB.

Carphunter

Commander
JB, since I have been here for a great while, and I always hear a lot about the Hideout, just a few curious questions. How much acreage is there at the Hideout? Has this land been a part of your family for a while? Is it considered a ranch? Are you still inviting me for that special deer hunt?................whoops, how'd that question get in here. :p <br /><br />Seeing the picture in the other thread kinda prompted me to ask.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hideout questions for JB.

Howdy, Carpy.<br /><br />The Hideout is 114 acres that I, and 2 of my girls bought in 1989. I added 6 more acres in 1994, which is mine alone and where I live.<br /><br />It is a farm because I raise pecans on purpose.<br />It is a ranch because we graze our 4 horses on it.<br />It is a native range because it is mostly woods and native prarie grasses.<br /><br />It is The Hideout because it allows me the solitude and privacy I dreamed of most of my life and places me in harmony with the natural environment.<br /><br />Since my girls are part owners and dedicated tree huggers one would hunt only at great risk.

crab bait

Captain

JB.. how did ya come across it.??<br /><br />an like where were you living / what kind of living prior the 'hideout'..?? like city,?? subburbs,?? texas.??

JB

When I returned to Texas from FL in 1989 I was set on a piece of rural land and a custom built "doublewide". My girls suggested that we pool our resources and get a BIG piece or rural land with long-term capital gains in mind. We looked at about ten "ranches" before we found this. It was 114 acres with a 6 acre notch in which the former son-in-law of the seller. We bought it in January of 1990 for $600/acre.<br /><br />I was living in an apartment in the ghetto of east Ft. Worth about a block from the college where I was teaching and saving to have my DW built to my specs.<br /><br />After having my car stolen twice and my home burglarized I changed plan and bought a cheap singlewide and moved to the Hideout. In 1994 the owner of the 6 acre notch got in trouble and needed some bux, so he sold me the 6 acres. I spent 5 years clearing and cleaning it up (it was half junk and half jungle).<br /><br />Then, in 1999 I found a manufacturer who would build me a DW to my spec and put it on the 6 acres.<br /><br />Now I have what I planned. :)

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi JB,<br /><br />educate this foreigner. What is a "double wide"?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Andrew Leigh:<br /> Hi JB,<br /><br />educate this foreigner. What is a "double wide"?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew
Was wondering the same thing. A transportable home maybe?<br /><br />Aldo

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaahah its one that the axles are removed :) <br /> dang JB.<br /> soon I will have to move. I can see the lights of my neighbors house at night now:)<br /> I have 21 acres here in kitty hawk that backs up to 400 of the nature conservacy land. but its gotten to crowded.<br /> so its on the market. I hate to sell it but its almost time to move on :)

ebbtide176

Commander

i never realized what flat out asking for details could get you, but i'm thankful for it JB. that is a great story, and heartwarming. you probably have many here, along with myself, who would help you out in a time of need. it sounds like a wonderful place you've found. i was brought up in a slum, spent summers in a wide open ranch where the dirt road was named after my grandparents, who owned the whole area, and then had a nice 2ac place, and left it for a .6ac place to have dependable neighbors. so i like your story alot. :D <br /><br />yes a doublewide is a manufactured home, delivered on wheels. the depreciation is hell, but the initial cost is a charm. i don't think you can go wrong if you can do manual labor and have good planning on the foundation.<br /><br />thanx for this historical info senyor

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

:) :D :) Great to know you better JB! After working in the big city's most of my career (including Houston) I can applicate what the highout means. Sometime I'll have to post pictures of why we stay up here in the cold north - just 5 miles north of Glacier Nat Park. Highs in the 20's these days, ice on the lake and snow on the ground.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Great story on seeing neighbors lights, Rodbolt. I have a childhood friend that moved to the pacific northwest way before I did, on 18 acres backing up to Weyerhuaser property back up in the hills above Snoqualmie. Never bothered or cared about gunshots in the woods, but the new sound scares the hell out of him and the wife.. <br />Hammers pounding on wood as the slow creep of humanity works its way east out of Seattle. Sucks

JB

Manufactured homes are built in a factory in modules that are limited to 14" wide so they can be moved over the highways. They are typically built very light and flimsy to keep the costs down.<br /><br />A singlewide is one module, doublewides are two modules and there are a few triplewides.<br /><br />My house is 28x48. Signal built it for me. Features not found on regular production models are: 2"X6" wall studs with R-22 insulation, double pane windows, R-40 insulation in roof, R-22 in floors, steel panel roof, 3 sunpipes, brick fireplace, solid oak cabinet doors and fronts in kitchen and baths and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.<br /><br />After installation I added covered porches front and back and an attached garage.<br /><br />May get to taking a pic or two and posting them, but don't set your clock on it. Tomorrow is turkey day at my son't house.

Carphunter

Commander

Sounds like a great place JB. I used to live in a Modular home also, and I miss it. I also had it built especially for us with many of the same specs that you listed.<br />I own 16 acres here in Indiana, and its really secluded. Its a great place to live, and a great place to raise my boys.<br />One of my best friends and his family own about 1500 acres, and they farm 3 times that much. Lucky for me, I get to hunt and fish on all of their land. It just like I own it. :) <br />......anyway, since I value my life, I will refrain from trying to sneak onto the Hideout and hunt. :D

crab bait

Captain

thanks for the post,,JB.. i can see why you appreciate it so much..<br /><br />see that things weren't handed to you.. an see where your good charactor comes from.. <br /><br />happy for you that some of your dreams came true... it does warm the heart..<br /><br />almost promise this is the last question .. an it's a question that's always been killin' me..<br /><br />where did the name 'hideout' originate..??

JB

The name came from a hundred or so "B" western movies, Crabby.<br /><br />The baddies always had a refuge to retreat to, and they always referred to it as "The Hidout". It was always remote. . .off in the woods or the mountains, with nobody else around.<br /><br />While I only very rarely thought of myself as a baddie, the idea of having a "Hideout" appealed to me from the age of about 10.

f_inscreenname

Commander

“from the college where I was teaching”<br /> What did you teach JB? “Social ethics on message boards” or “the skilled use of the Poof Button”? :D The more I read about you in your posts over the years I don't think I would mind having you as a neighbor and I live in a townhouse.

crab bait

Captain

that's true.. there's one thing that i know about JB,, is that loud obtruious music is a no-no... i.e.. a 'townhouse neighbors'dream..!!<br /><br />yeah,, glad i asked the question.. an glad you answered it that way.. especially for our 'offshore friends'..<br /><br />i was curious if'n your land had a history of being a 'hideout' ..or if the name was recent an from you.. <br /><br />thanks for the answer..<br /><br />buy the way,, 'the hideout' is WAY COOL.i'm soooo jelious .. i want one NOW.. <br /><br />( but i'm to lazy to work so hard for it..) ( one good thing i can attest to for people like me is.. good enuff is ok.. an it really is bliss,, too..)

JB

I think we would make good neighbors, FSN. We seem to share a respect for others privacy and peace, not to mention interest in boats and fishing. :)

FLATHEAD

Captain

Sounds like a slice of heaven JB, I too like to be away from it all. Although I am not as remote as some of you guys.<br /><br />600$ an acre,, What a deal!! That is unheard of in this part of the country.

JB

That was 15 years ago, FH.<br /><br />The last inquiry we had about whether we were interested in selling offered us $3500/acre.