Hi Dhadley & Crew- Questions on rebuilding engine

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Crew- I've come to a crossroad in rebuilding this 85 Evinrude with a detonated piston.<br />The parts + bore are not unreasonable but the <br />labor costs to dissamble the engine would be extremely high. Everyone I consulted with said it wouldn't be worth the $ I needed to spend. So..... though I am not a mechanic, but I have a friend who is very good with car engines- should we try to do this job ourselves? How difficult? How long should a job like this take? I do have a Clymers manual<br />but since I'm not a mechanic (graphic designer- made this 77 Formula look like its 1997) I find it hard to follow because I don't know how to identify the parts. I'm very visual- can see how its done once and can duplicate it. Is it out of the question? Can I work at the dock or do I have to haul the boat out of the water? Would there be a trillion parts laying around or do most parts <br />come out as large units? <br />Weighing the option of another engine but I think this engine still has plenty of life in her PLUS<br />that would mean we are talking new controls, <br />electronics, etc. I DO believe that with proper care these engines will outlast you. What I experienced was not due to neglect but not catching<br />the problem in time because of lack of experience.<br />I sure a lot wiser now!<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Sal G

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Hi Dhadley & Crew- Questions on rebuilding engine

I would suggest considering a rebuilt powerhead (this website $2200 to 2600). You would be in business quickly ... if you or your friend have never rebuilt an outboard, the learning curve can be steep (and expensive). You could probably handle replacing the powerhead. You need to know exactly why the other failed. If it was lean running, the carbs need to be rebuilt as well.

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Average time to rebuild?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The boat should be on land to make it the easiest. Especially when you drop the lower to change the water pump. You were planning on that, right?<br /><br />The biggest thing is to determine why it did what it did. We dont want a repeat performance.<br /><br />On a V4 cf -- 12 to 14 hours labor time from hood off to hood on is not unreasonable. Depending on stuck bolts etc. Thats including the pump and carb job too. <br /><br />Good luck and keep us informed!

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Dhadley for yor input.<br />Was scheduled to replace impeller this fall.<br />They want over $240 just to tow the boat from my marina to where my trailer/launching ramps are.<br />Was planning to turn around the boat at the <br />dock so the engine is facing the plankwalk and work from there.<br />The spirit is long but the bucks are short!!!

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

The $240 may be worth it to avoid the hassle of dropping bolts, pieces and tools into the water, not to mention you won't be able to get as much leverage on alot things you will need it for. I would never attempt that job on the dock.

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with mmcpeck....I don't see how you could do this job (either rebuild or replace) in the water at the dock - and you certainly can't do the water pump with the boat there!

BF

Lieutenant

geeze, how far of a tow is that? For that cash, you could buy yourself a little kicker... use it to get to the ramp, then you'd also have a "get home" engine for the future.<br /><br />Around these parts, people are usually quite willing to help a fellow boater. Wouldn't someone at the dock give you a tow? (of course you'd buy 'em gas & burger after).<br /><br />It's a hard call about giving advice about the rebuild... I've never done one myself, but I have done some wrench turning on OB's (impellers & rebuilt a lower unit). It is satisfying to do it yourself, but if you're not terribly mechanically inclinded, you might wanna pass. Your friend might get tired of it and bale if he's not having fun while doing it. <br /><br />I agree, whatever you do, you need to get the boat out.<br /><br />Brent

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats what I was thinking- but I don't think I have the clearance 0n my transom. They are claiming<br />3.5 hrs time for a couple of miles tow. I've got some ideas.<br />Yeah....things are pricey in NY

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why dont you just pull off the motor at the marina and bring it home. You would put it on a stand that you build/buy. That might make transportation easier for you.