Hey, Oregon!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Ya got yer "card" yet? This just more government in your pocket, or that many uneducated boaters down that way? :D <br />Quote<br />"If you will be 45 or younger in 2005, you will need a Boater Education Card to operate your powerboat if it's greater than 10 hp. Classes and online training are available now...." <br /><br />You can join the service and KILL PEOPLE at 18, wait a few years and have a DRINK at 21, and at 45, you can junk that puny 9.9hp and get a real boat without someones permission :confused:

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hey, Oregon!

Hey Robby, I totally agree with you but up here in Canada that same law is here and they have started with all boats under 14' and that includes jet skiies, canoes etc and next year it goes up to bigger boats. It's a scam by our government to get more money from us. It's the same as our gun registeration. It's cost the government billons of dollars and it still hasn't done a thing. Besides, who inforces these new laws? We don't have enough offical people(ie police, etc) to inforce the laws we have now. I did get my "card" against my better judgement as I use the lakes alot and don't want to take a chance. It cost me $56.00 and I waived the course and took the test but if I took the course, that could have been anywhere from $80.00 to $110.00.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Of course it was posted in jest, but I remember about 1972(?) when Illinois said we needed a endorsement to ride a motorcycle. I figured that if you could ride there (DMV) without crashing should be proof enough! But like everything else, it was the (then) 3 bucks. World turning to a regulated, bloated mess.

Homerr

Commander

I took the test, and I have my card. The test was geared more toward the Jerk-skiers (imo).<br /><br />I'm not defending the idea, but it's a way get new boaters to at least LOOK at the rules.<br /><br />How many morons on the water can you count on a busy day at the lake?<br /><br />H.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Say, this isn't gonna effect me bringing my boat to Oregon is it?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> How many morons on the water can you count on a busy day at the lake?<br />H.
Not beating up on ya, but lets rephrase this to:<br /> How many morons on the freeway can you count on a busy day going to the mall <br /><br />It sure doesn't work there, and its been regulated for years. Laws solve nothing. Education of course helps, agreed, but it should not be dictated too by the elite government. Starts with the parents of idiots that should not breed. It will only get worse...remember, these ARE the good old days.