Hey Nate in AR

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I have always wanted to know, when did the third axel on dump trucks show up? Seems like 5 years ago I started seeing them.<br /><br />Is it a new regulation, or is it for hauling heavy loads?<br /><br />Ken

NathanY

Commander
Re: Hey Nate in AR

You know, I'm really not sure. When I lived in TX, I had never seen one, but when I moved up here, Tri's and Quad's are all they use. I had thought about buying one of my own, but my father told me that they were not recognized in TX because they will not bridge. I have lived up here for 4 years and they have been here as long as I have. <br /><br />The rule up here on trucks is:<br />Tandem- 48,000 or 52,000 I cant remember <br />Triaxle-62,000<br />Quad- 80,000<br />Then tractor trailers are of course 80,000

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

They got the triaxles here in Houston, dont think I have ever seen a quad.<br /><br />Your pic of a truck in the job thread is why I asked.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They have had tri's since 1973 at least, I drove one back then.<br />EDIT: I tried to find a pic of mine, but here is one of a '79 Mack.<br />
macktriaxle.jpg