Hey Flyrod...

gaugeguy

Captain
You ever go clamming? My boys just discovered they are fond of steamers, so I figured I should put them to work and dig their own supper. I know you basically only need a clam rake (and license), any hints??

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Hey Flyrod...

:) Hello!!!<br /> Hints: Keep your a$$ up to the sky and your head towards the sand!!!! :p :p <br />I've done my share of claming,use to buy a commercial license when clamiing was really good!!! Now i just buy a mess digging permit for $25.00 If you are going for steamers ya need a clam fork,hen claming a pitch fork type tool!!! <br />Dig where ya see allot of holes, not just a couple!!! Be careful not to break the clams !! you'll get use to it!!!<br /><br />How's the bow hunting going???<br /><br />To get the sand out, buy an aquarium air pump 10 bucks or so and purge the clams in salt water over nite to remove the sand!!!<br /><br />Good luck!!! ;) :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

I guess the flats around here are closed right now because of "red tide", but I figure in the spring it would be a good activity for the young-uns. How deep are they, close to the top or more than 8" down? On a good day, can you get enough to have a good steamer feed, or will I be stopping at the clam shack to buy 5 more pounds??<br /><br />Bowhunting is good so far. I got a small bear (125lbs) and seen a ton of does, no hatrackers yet. It's starting to get chilly, so hopefully they will be moving more. This dang "indian summer" we are having right now is killing me though ;)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I don't know how good the digging is up your way, but you should be able to dig a good 10-12 lbs. which actually is a small amount in a tide. For instance, on a new flat that hasn't been worked in a couple of years you can dig 200lbs. in 20 minutes 1st day, 40mins. 2nd day so on until ya dig it clean. On a normal day i dig a good peck about a 1/2 bushell!! Ya wanna get to the flat 1-2hrs. before low tide and work the coming tide!!! ;) :cool: