Hey Elvin, another question if I may,

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '01 90A. The Manual that came with the motor calls for either NGK B8HS-10 or NGK BR8HS-10 plugs. The red sticker under the cowel at the rear calls for NGK BR8HS-10. The BR's have resistors built into the plug. I would like to try B8HS-10's but when talking to the guys in Texas, they are hesitant to give me the thumbs up. They mention that non resistor plugs may give interference to my electronics and then mentioned that it MAY damage the CD-unit. I can understand the first, but the second makes no sense unless the CD-unit has something I don't know about. I used to run a 40D (3-cyl) on the same boat and had no problems with electronics interference. The red sticker on that motor called for B7HS-10's (non-resistor). At the store, the NGK manual lists B8HS-10 for years - to 1992 or '94, and BR8HS-10 for '93 or '95 to present. The Owners manual that came with the motor (90A) is Edition FEB. 2000, Printing FEB. 2000, printed in Japan. Is it possible that it is an error in the manual, or is it safe to run B8HS-10 plugs with my CD-unit and the call for the resistor ones was simply as an added convinience to prevent any possible additional interference for electronics such as low end fuish finders and VHF's? As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Hey Elvin, another question if I may,

It is safe to use the non-resistor plugs. The only reason the engines come with resistor plugs is to meet a Canadian requirement for engine importation.

Salmon Tub

Seaman Apprentice

I installed the non R plugs yesterday and ran the engine at idle on the hose. It ran with no problems, but it just didn't seem as strong. It shuddered a little more but the RPM's were about where they should be. Running on a hose is not by far the perfect test, but for now, I may stick to the R plugs. I mainly wanted to see if the non-R plugs would run a little cleaner, meaning that the insultor would not be so tan or dark brown.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It really should not make a difference as the plug heat range is the same. Let me know if you find a difference out on the water.