Hesitation/Bogging/Surging

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, this afternoon I cruised around for a good thirty minutes at 3000 RPMs or so. After that we kneeboarded for a good hour and a half or so at about 2200 RPMs. When I went to pull a skier up a few minutes later, the motor didn't want to go. Usually when I give it full throttle it takes off. This time it seemed like it had no power behind it. It was very sluggish and slow. Best way to explain it is as hesistant, it would go but groan and not go fast. We got the skier in the boat, pulled the rope in, gave it full throttle a few more times to check it out and the same thing happened, just very hesitant. No missing, nothing on the prop, trim good, temp fine, oil pressure all fine, checked the oil before the afternoon, golden, every thing seemed normal. If we slowly accelerated from idle it would go...it didnt take long to get it on plane, we just couldn't go full throttle from idle. However, even when we got to WOT it was only running 3800, maybe a bit more. 4000-4400 is normal operating for the boat, it usually runs towards the higher end of that. I checked around the engine compartment, the ignition coil was warm to the touch, nothing out of the ordinary. The only reason I mention the coil is because we repalced our stock one at the beginning of the season and put in a 60,000 volt performance one along with new performance wires. At the beginning of the season we had quarter tank of gas that had been stabilized. We added 50 bucks of 89 before she went in this year which just about topped it off. Half a tank left. We've used it about 10 hours or so this year, but today was the longest continuous outing, usually out for an hour or so to just anchor. What I'm thinking is that either bad gas is bogging us down or the coil wasn't right for the boat and is shot after some use. Sorry for it being long, just wanted to get everything in. Thanks for all the help! McKenzie

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Hesitation/Bogging/Surging

Considering that it is a v-8 you may not be running on all cylinders. You may be missing a cylinder or 2 and it will still sound like it is purring like a kitten. As time consuming as it may sound I would compression check all cylinders and re-install clean plugs... could even be a bad wire or two.<br /><br />Bob

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been chasing the same type of problem for about a year now. When we start out sking in the AM no problems, pulls real hard from the start when I would go wot to pull up a skier. Top end rpm's about 5000, yes i know its high, but if it blows, I get a 350 :).<br />After a while, doing what ever, wakeboarding, tubing, and sking, if I would go wot on startup the motor will bog and not pull as hard. If i do not go wot, just about 7/8's and it will not bog. The top end RPM's drop about 300 to about 4700. <br />I have tried new...<br /> plugs,<br /> wires,<br /> coil,<br /> fuel filter,<br /> fuel separator<br /> rotor<br />checked <br /> timing & advance.<br /> compression (all within relitive 15%)<br />Next steps include tuning the carb and checking the fuel pressure.<br />One more thought, if i remember right, the 302 ford cylnders 7 & 8 fire in sequence and the plug wires are run close together, make sure they are held apart to prevent any crossfire...<br /><br />vitals...<br />78' fourwinns<br />305ci GMC <br /> K&N s.a.<br /> Edelbrock carb & intake<br /> 1.6 ratio roller rockers<br />OMC 800 stringer

WSUDERMAN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, i had some limited sucess solfing this over the weekend. Started adjusting the carb, went 4% leaner on the metering rods, adjusted the idle & timing and the bog has been reduced, not eliminated though. I looked at the accelerator pump linkage and it is currently set to the longest stroke. <br />To get rid of the rest of the bog, I am considering shorting it. What do ya all think?