Herring brine

msquicci

Cadet
Does anyone have a good recipe for herring brine? I want to fish for kings in a nearby lake and on Pugeot Sound, using cut plugs or helmeted. I also want to fish for silvers in the Sound.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Herring brine

I don't have a recipe but just cut plug them, gut them and put in a pail with cold water and some rock salt. A handful of salt to a couple of quarts of water should do it whether fresh or frozen. It's the first thing I do when I get to the boat and then they are ready by the time I get to my fishing spot in 30 - 60 minutes. Also, they will keep well this way so you can use them for the next day or so. I expect they will be $6 a dozen this year.<br /><br />With lingcod season coming up I'll be using live flounder (up to about 6") which I catch in the sandy, level areas near Edmonds.<br /><br />Good luck & get back to the dock in one piece.

glasply1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, if you don't have much time, make the salt content a little stronger. It does seem like it doesn't take much time to make the herring start to "firm up."

cdale

Recruit

Originally posted by katl:<br /> Does anyone have a good recipe for herring brine? I want to fish for kings in a nearby lake and on Pugeot Sound, using cut plugs or helmeted. I also want to fish for silvers in the Sound.
There is a good brine recipe on Salmonuniversity.com along with a lot of other useful fishing information. Hope this helps you out.