heres one for you guys

t_bird

Cadet
This letter u r about to read was sent to the florida fish and game by me and attached is their reply.<br /><br /> As an avid angler, I wonder,do the people that make these rules,fish at <br />all? I resently went snapper fishing for the first time in my life in <br />100'of water. Have they ever seen a fish reeled up from that depth? He is <br />dead. I put one in our live well and he never recovered. So if you catch <br />a hundred small ones to finally catch the one you can keep what is the <br />point? Maybe they just don't want us to have to clean them.<br /><br /> Releasing reef fish may require special handling to decrease mortality. <br />When reef fish are brought quickly to the surface from water more than <br />70 feet deep, the gases in their swim bladder expand, often rupturing <br />the swim bladder. This will be visible--the stomach of the fish is <br />pushed out of the mouth. Researchers at Mote Marine Laboratory have found <br />that ruptured swim bladders of snappers and groupers become functional <br />within four days after the release and heal within two weeks.<br />Venting may increase the survival rate of reef fish that are released. <br />Proper use of a venting tool can improve the fish's chances of survival <br />by allowing it to return to the bottom quickly.<br />Once it has been determined that a fish needs venting, insert a venting <br />tool or large-gauge hypodermic needle at a 45 degree angle at the base <br />of the pectoral fin. Only insert the needle far enough to release the <br />trapped gas. A deep puncture can harm the internal organs. If a fish <br />is extremely bloated, use a free hand to exert gentle pressure to the <br />fish's abdomen to aid deflation. Venting tools and instructions are <br />available from the Florida Sea Grant Extension Program.<br />If you send me your mailing address, I will send you a copy of our <br />brochure "Release Techniques for Marine Fishes." I can also send you a <br />copy of our magazine Fishing Lines which has great articles like "Catch <br />and Release Builds Fisheries" and "Managing for the Future." <br />Thank you for your comments, and if you have any further questions, <br />please let me know.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: heres one for you guys

Ok Doctor t_bird get to work on those fish now. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!<br />steve

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: heres one for you guys

I've seen this technique done on tv by some guy that looks like Tom Selleck off Florida.The boat name was Spanish Fly.(I remember that part)He was reef fishing for Grouper.He punctured their swim bladder with a hollow needle.Seems to work....