Here We Go Again

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Ivans' making his way right up the Muddy Banks of the Great Ohio. 4 to 6" of rain prdicted. Gonna be a long weekend. River report outta Pittsburgh has the Ohio River cresting 6 to 7 feet above flood stage sometime Monday.<br /><br />How's everyone else making out?? Bubbakat, SBN...you guys hanging in there?? That mess is right over you ain't it?

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Here We Go Again

Yea OBJ it came thru here yesterday and all night last night. It subsided this morning around 5. It most certainly left its mark but we are all alive and dreading the mess.<br />It is moving faster then predicted jim.<br />All in all we are far luckier then the guys and gals south of us in ALA. GA. FLA.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yea those folks took a big one forsure Will. Our streams around here are starting to rise already. Water ain't got no place to go. Hopefully it won't be as bad as last week.<br /><br />Glad to hear from ya'!

ehenry

Commander

We didn't get squat from Ivan other than a little wind. Folks 30 miles to the east of us got some rain and thats about it. <br /><br />Thoughts and prayer go out to all the folks on the coasts of Alabama and Florida.

KaGee

Admiral

Our prayers are for all of you in harms way. My inlaws are in SE Ohio. They got watchs up for flash flooding.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some major rain and wind gusts of up to 30 and 40 MPH here. It has been going since late last night. School was let out for flooding for the first time I can remember, even from back when I was in school. I'm in central-eastern Kentucky.<br /><br />I live up on an elevation, so no worries for me even though the creek down below has flooded out parts of downtown and some of the more rural areas.<br /><br />Regardless, pretty nasty stuff.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea I'm still hanging in here.<br />Started raining last evening and it ain't quit.<br /><br />OBJ, the Ohio will crest above flood stage by quite a bit before this is done.<br />Here is the latest.<br />_______________________________________________<br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River Near Marietta 2sw Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage Near Marietta 2sw Was 17.8 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Marietta 2sw Is 34.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow Evening And Continue To Rise Near 37.5 Feet By Monday Evening Then Falling Below Flood Stage. At Stages Near 37.5 Feet... Streets... Stores And Homes Below Route 14 Flood... And Portions Of Route 31 Below The Intersection Of Routes 14 And 31 In Williamstown WV. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Parkersburg Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Parkersburg Was 21.7 Feet And The Trend Is Rising. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Parkersburg Is 36.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow And Continue To Rise Near 40.5 Feet By Monday Morning. At Stages Near 40.5 Feet... The Railroad Tracks Through The City Begin To Flood. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Racine Lock Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Racine Lock Was 17.8 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Racine Lock Is 38.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow And Continue To Rise Near 48.5 Feet By Monday Morning. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Point Pleasant Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Point Pleasant Was 25.1 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Point Pleasant Is 40.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow Afternoon And Continue To Rise Near 48 Feet By Tuesday Morning. At Stages Near 49 Feet... Route 35 At The Bridge Over Crooked Creek Is Flooded. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Robert C Byrd Lock And Dam Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Robert C Byrd Lock And Dam Was 20.7 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Robert C Byrd Lock And Dam Is 50.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Sunday Morning And Continue To Rise Near 53 Feet By Tuesday Morning. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Huntington Continues. At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Huntington Was 23.4 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. <br /><br />Flood Stage At Huntington Is 50.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow And Continue To Rise Near 53 And 54 Feet By Tuesday Morning. At Stages Near 54 Feet... Ohio Route 52 Near Chesapeake Is Flooded. Ohio Route 52 In South Point 5 Miles West Of The Bridge At 6th Street Is Flooded. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Ashland Continues. <br /><br />At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Ashland Was 35.5 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. Flood Stage At Ashland Is 52.0 Feet. The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage By Tomorrow Early Afternoon And Continue To Rise Near 60 Feet By Tuesday Morning. At Stages Near 60 Feet... U.S. Route 60 Is Closed At Catlettsburg. <br /><br />The Flood Warning For The Ohio River At Greenup Lock Continues. <br /><br />At 5 AM Friday The Stage At Greenup Lock Was 22.8 Feet And The Trend Is For Significant Rises The Next Few Days. Flood Stage At Greenup Lock Is 54.0 Feet. <br /><br />The River Will Rise Above Flood Stage Tomorrow Afternoon And Continue To Rise Near 60 Feet By Tuesday Morning. Additional Rises Are Possible Thereafter. At Stages Near 60 Feet... C&o Rr Is Closed On East Side Of Greenup.

bubbakat

Captain

OBJ how you guys making out up there? I noticed it turned a little more easterly so it might have spared you some. I know spinner got pounded.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Back on line again. Power went out 3pm Friday. Came back on around 5pm today. Areas around here got 5 to 7 inches of rain. River came fast along with the streams and creeks. People stranded with no way to get to them. Big mess. Tired. Going to bed.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We had a bit of a tornado swarm around here Friday. One skipped by about a mile from the house and took the power and telephone out for about 20 hours.<br /><br />Over the river from me in Maryland, this same tornado flipped a grain truck into a corn field.<br /><br />They are still counting but the last I heard there were about 30 tornadoes in Northern and Western Virginia on Friday. Quite an unusual outbreak for this part of the country.<br /><br />Too bad so many had to suffer through Ivan. <br /><br />The Mobile AL newspaper has photos of the damage on the coast at www.al.com and for Pensacola try www.pensacolanewsjournal.com<br /><br />Jinx

aspeck

Staff member

Well, I am back - had a great week of vacation and drove back Friday (after enjoying Cabelas). Got 1 1/2 hours away from home when cell phone rang - Fire Department wondering where I was, needed boat badly. Drove last 80 miles with blue light (took 3 hours to do it because of rain and closed roads). For the next 21 hours did water rescue, pumped basements, etc. Didn't loose anyone, thank God. Next county over lost a 2 year old boy. I probably carried abot 45 people to dry land in river rescue boat. Only a couple of times did it get scary - jet sucked up too much junk. No fun loosing power in a raging river. Saturday Night got some food and sleep (22 hours without ANY food and only a little to drink) and 40 plus hours without ANY sleep. Back at it Sunday, and still working clean-up. Probably be busy all week. Ivan was no fun!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Me and you got to get together and swap stories aspeck. Last water rescue we done was a 72 year old lady that just had back surgery. We spent the day helping the State DOT get the bridges hosed off so they could patch them and get traffic moving while others pumped basements and did there best to get people cleaning supplies. Seemed really strange......just crossed that same bridge the day before in a boat. Been 48hrs. of total work with little sleep in between. Got some last nite.......but I'm hungry. Really hungry. No....Ivan was no fun at all.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Just got my power back after Ivan went past us. The last minute jog to the east saved Mobile Bay a lot of damage, but conditions just to the east are terrible, Pensacola, Gulf Shores and the western Florida Panhandle are devestated.

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, OBJ, got some real interesting ones to tell. First 12 rescued were told to evacuate the night before - they didn't. Woke up at 6 with water racing through their house - 10 kids (16 - 18 years old) and 2 children (1 & 3). Where were the adults? Had to worry about their cars floating into us. Then they insisted we take their dogs also - Don't get me wrong, I love pets, but I put a higher value on human life - they were more worried about the dogs than the kids! GRRRR! Again, where were the adults?<br /><br />Anyway, all were safe in the end. But please, when you are asked to evacuate, do so! It will make the life of the volunteer firemen in your community much easier and safer - we have families we want to get home to as well.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A big thumbs up for all of you helping.<br /><br />I dont understand idiots that wont evacuate. I can have my valuables and clothes in the car in under an hour. Hurricane comes to Houston, I am gone, wont even board up the house.<br /><br />BTW, When I was 4 years old we had to be evacuated. Mom and Dad woke up with the sound of water coming in the house. The tropical storm turned during the night. We lived 10 ft from the bay. Water came over the road, had a couple of feet in the house.<br /><br />Nowdays, I wont hesitate at all to leave, if the strike zone is anywhere near us, we will be ready to go.<br /><br />Ken

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I've lived in this area since 1974 and have seen lots of high water....but nothing to how fast this came. Our four wheel drive brush truck was stuck for two days....stranded. The dept. A/C and another firefighter went up to Big Rush Run to help evac people. He said he went across a bridge to get the people out. Turned to leave when a wall of water and trees washed across the bridge. No way out. Backed the truck up as far as he could get it and sat. Ended up hoofing out across the hill to get a ride. All safe.<br /><br />I think this flood took a lot of people by surprise. This was a true "FLASH" flood. Our first trip across the flood water put us at a drive way in grass. We got out, got the folks ready and by the time we got loaded, we were near floating free. That fast.<br /><br />I sure hope Mom Nature is nice to us for a while.