Here it is: FEMA employees drop the dime on DHS

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
FEMA Was Unprepared for Katrina Relief Effort, Insiders Say (ABC News Original Report) <br /><br />
<br />Sept. 8, 2005 -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency has received much of the blame for the government's slow response to victims of Hurricane Katrina. <br /><br />In a post-9/11 era, some say, the government let preparedness for natural disasters take a backseat to terrorism. <br /><br />FEMA was an independent agency, answering directly to the president, until it was folded into the Department of Homeland Security two years ago. <br /><br />However, the latest government figures show that 75 cents out of every $1 spent on emergency preparedness goes to anti-terrorism programs. Well before Katrina, FEMA insiders were sounding the alarm. <br /><br />...[On Sunday, August 29] President Bush listened in on a FEMA conference call during which Mayfield [director of the National Hurricane Center] warned of a storm surge of more than 20 feet of water rolling over levees. <br /><br />FEMA had 1,300 disaster assistance workers pre-positioned, and FEMA Director Michael Brown assured Bush they were ready for the storm. <br /><br />"FEMA is not going to hesitate at all in this storm," Brown [FEMA director] said. "We are not going to sit back and make this a bureaucratic process. We are going to move fast, we are going to move quickly and we are going to do whatever it takes to help disaster victims."<br /><br />...<br /><br />"All of us were just shaking our heads and saying, 'This isn't going to be enough, and the director has to know this isn't going to be enough.' But nothing more seemed to be happening," said Leo Bosner, president of the FEMA Headquarters Employees Union. <br /><br />Bosner has been with FEMA since it began 26 years ago. He says the agency has been systematically dismantled since it became part of the massive Department of Homeland Security. <br /><br />"One of the big differences I see," said Bosner, "besides taking away our staff and our budget and our training, is that Homeland Security now, in my view, slows down the process." <br /><br />The union warned Congress in a detailed letter about FEMA's decline a year ago. State emergency managers also warned Capitol Hill and Homeland Security just weeks ago that DHS was too focused on one thing — terrorism. <br /><br />"We've had almost zero support for a natural disaster and an all-hazards approach," said Eric Holdeman, director of the King County Office of Emergency Management in Washington State. "It's been terrorism only." <br /><br />The Department of Homeland Security insists FEMA has been enhanced by being part of a large department with vast resources, but critics say that was not evident in the response to this disaster. <br /><br /><br />ABC News' Lisa Stark filed this report for "World New Tonight." <br /><br />
disclaimer: the perspective of one employee with 26 years on the job, but he is president of their union, which if they're losing jobs to another union might influence his view (my opinion based on personal observation of union representatives in general)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Here it is: FEMA employees drop the dime on DHS

Tell it to the inquiry board.<br /><br />Seems to me that 1300 workers in position before the storm is a quick response.<br /><br />I never met a bureaucrat who didn't claim to be underfunded and under appreciated.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I never met a bureaucrat who didn't claim to be underfunded and under appreciated.
Well said.

Tinkrrr

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Tell it to the inquiry board.<br /><br />Seems to me that 1300 workers in position before the storm is a quick response.<br /><br />I never met a bureaucrat who didn't claim to be underfunded and under appreciated.
I've rarely seen a senior bureaucrat whose department wasn't over-funded and badly run, although I agree that they feel underappreciated, without much cause. Being forced to fly economy class to and from pointless and unnecessary meetings around the plantet really humiliates them.<br /><br />On the other hand, most junior to senior military commanders in fighting units have sound grounds for complaining about the lack of funding they receive, such as being denied reasonable live firing exercises.<br /><br />Any fair average quality divisional commander in any Western army could have run rings aroung FEMA etc if presented with the same lead time and resources to plan for Katrina. It's not like the problems weren't known or the solutions were hard to work out.

oddjob

Commander

FEMA was an independent agency, answering directly to the president, until it was folded into the Department of Homeland Security two years ago. <br />
I believe congress and Hillary championed this action after 9/11.<br /> :rolleyes: <br /> Today, she wants to know what went wrong and who's responsible and to put it back as a cabinate position. :mad: <br /><br />oh...and I bet she will be on the commity investigating who will be responsible......just like the 9/11 investigation where the folks most responsible were investigating the Bushes..<br /><br />Same ole same ole..

txswinner

Banned

Oddjob, You are Hillaryphobic, your remark is totally out of nowhere and totally misses the thread as usual. Last I checked the Republicans controlled Congress before and after 9/11.<br /><br />This is about what went wrong not that the Congress or the President goofed, if there was a screw up it was beaureacratic not the President's fault or Congress' fault, they can not micro-manage the Departments.<br /><br />So get off the political soapbox.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> ...Congress' fault, they can not micro-manage the Departments.<br />
TX you really don't understand how things really work in Washington ... do you?<br /><br />Congress is always trying to micro-manage. And they do their best work on Monday mornings. All the hoo-haa coming from there to this day is nothing but micromanagement.<br /><br />Hilliary injected herself into the frey here by making some off the cuff comments. OJ is simply pointed out the truth... she voted to fold FEMA into the Homeland Security umbrella. Note: she didn't say she was mistaken for voting the change. <br /><br />Everyone in Government is in the CYA mode because reality stares us all in the face... Government let the people of NO, LA, MS and AL down, big time.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Tinkrrr:<br /> Any fair average quality divisional commander in any Western army could have run rings aroung FEMA etc if presented with the same lead time and resources to plan for Katrina. It's not like the problems weren't known or the solutions were hard to work out.
For a perfect example illustrating Tinkrrr's point, see <br /> this story about the Coast Guard response.

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Oddjob, You are Hillaryphobic, your remark is totally out of nowhere and totally misses the thread as usual. Last I checked the Republicans controlled Congress before and after 9/11.<br /><br />This is about what went wrong not that the Congress or the President goofed, if there was a screw up it was beaureacratic not the President's fault or Congress' fault, they can not micro-manage the Departments.<br /><br />So get off the political soapbox.
Na,na,na..NA..NAAA.Na!....<br /><br />Make me... :p

oddjob

Commander

TXS, I promise to read your posts more thourghly if you promise to pay better attention to recent...and I say RECENT historyyyyyyy!<br /><br /> :p