Here is a crazy idea,,,,

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
After reading the typical seasonal "water draining" posts I got to thinking. How hard would it be for marine engine builders to come up with a mechanical drain to drain the block. Have some type of electric water pump similar to a builge pump and a switch on the dash marked "winterize." Hit the switch, pump the water out of the block, done. Of coarse it could include a "fill block" option for antifreeze just to make that camp happy.<br /><br />It just seems to me there has to be a better way then the present system. Not that I mind pulling a couple of drain plugs. With the amount of posts on the subject it seems not everyone wants to fool with it. I would be willing to bet with the low hours some put on there boat, myself included, that if all you did was drain the block every year and changed fluids every other year the engine would run just fine. Just my $.02.<br /><br />Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Here is a crazy idea,,,,

They do, have a look at the new Mercruiser and Volvo engines. Especially their drain and flush systems.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

That might work ok for those who boat in freshwater, but in salt or brackish it will be troublesome because often the block drains are plugged with rust, I have had to poke a coat hanger wire in there to open em up so they will drain.<br />Personally, I think any inboard should be closed cooled, it just seems better all the way around, easier to winterize, block/heads will last much longer in salt water, more efficient running temp, etc. Worth the initial investment.

Bondo

Staff member

Freshwater or Saltwater Doesn't Matter,.........<br /><br />I Couldn't/Wouldn't trust those Single Point Drain Systems,.......<br />Just for the reasons stated by Lou C,...<br />Sand, Silt,+ other Crap collect behind the drain plugs,.... I leave a SSteel deck screw laying on the intake manifold,.. Just to Ream out the Drains when I use them,......<br /><br />I've even Added a couple of Extra Drains that Merc. didn't think were nessessary,......<br />It might take me 3 minutes to drain the 6 drains..........

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, Bondo - I'll bite - where did you add the extra drains? I've moved up from North Texas to Western Colorado, so I'm having to take my winter operating tasks more seriously. I don't plan to winterize completely, since I intend to continue to use my boats throughout the year, but I really want to avoid the pain of broken metal, too.

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW - ever come across a feasible blow-out system, similar to the manner in which we blow out our RV plumbing?

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Mile High Mariner:<br /> Okay, Bondo - I'll bite - where did you add the extra drains? I've moved up from North Texas to Western Colorado, so I'm having to take my winter operating tasks more seriously. I don't plan to winterize completely, since I intend to continue to use my boats throughout the year, but I really want to avoid the pain of broken metal, too.<br />BTW - ever come across a feasible blow-out system, similar to the manner in which we blow out our RV plumbing? <br />
Ayuh,...... Well,.. When I dropped in this mid-90s 4.3LX into My old tin boat,.. I could see where the P/S Cooler Wasn't going to drain by itself, being down under the motor,......<br />So,... I Added a drain to the flange of it to drain the P/S cooler,+ the In-coming waterline from the outdrive.........<br /><br />I went with that set-up for a few years,.... After awhile I got sick of removing the Big Hose from the engine Waterpump to drain It,.....<br />That's when I pulled it off the motor,+ drilled,+ tapped it for it's Own Drain...........<br /><br />Now,... In Late season boating,.. When the boat goes onto the trailer,.. I pop the 2 drains on the block,+ the 2 on the manifolds,+ jamb the SSteel deck screw into those 4, to clear the sediment from them,......<br />Then I reach under the motor,+ pull the 1 on the P/S Cooler,....<br />And lastly,.. I pull the 1 I added to the Circulating Pump...........<br /><br />With the 6 drains pulled,+ reamed out,........<br />There Might be as much as a Cup of water left in the Whole Driveline........Which is a Non-Issue, as it's spread out thru the system,+ has Plenty of space to Expand.............<br /><br />BTW,....... Why Blow it out when Gravity does such a Wonderful Job........

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

just wanted to add that since I winterize my boat right next to my garage with air compressor, I hit the drain holes with compressed air just to make sure there isn't any sand or rust or whatever blocking the water from coming out. I don't use antifreeze, so get a safe feeling knowing that I could feel air coming out of the other drains when blowing through one.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The days of raw water cooling are over. EPA wants boat engines to run on closed systems just like cars. Then we get the samelow emissions and efficiency. Sounds good to me. Add another $ 2,000 to all boat prices. :mad:

AdamB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Even on the closed cooling systems, don't the water exchangers (or whatever the tech term) need to be drained? Or do I have this wrong...

Dunaruna

Admiral

Adam, closed systems are filled with coolant (anti- freeze/boil, corrosion inhibitors), same as a car. They need to be flushed as part of regular maintenance, but not winterised.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Except that the "sea water side" still should be drained....In extreme temps...Below 32*....The lowest point of the raw water feed should be drained..IE. the lowest point where you are sucking seawater, (between where water enters the transom & the engine)......JK

trog100

"Sounds good to me. Add another $ 2,000 to all boat prices"<br /><br />i recon the price hike is cos its treated as a "luxury" item cylcops.. if it became the standard it shouldnt add much to the overall price at all..<br /><br />brass heat exchangers produced enmass would come pretty cheap..<br /><br />as long as the customer and the "law" continue to allow the producers to keep giving us yesterdays cheapo junk.. they will keep doing so..<br /><br />and of course closed cooling would save oddles of money and trouble to the owner over the life of the boat..<br /><br />trog

Richard Petersen

I thought of making a smart aff remark like, " Take your boat to a GM Goodwrench guy. " But he will be a little lost on the transmission and the tires. He he he. :D