HELP !!!

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, here goes....<br /><br />I have found a good deal on a 1991 Chaparral bowrider (very clean, well maintained, drives nicely) with one problem.... Well actually I'm not sure if its a problem or not... it has a Yamaha 4.3L engine and Yamaha outdrive. Looking at the engine I can tell that it is a standard 4.3L chevy like all the others but the outdrive seems to be it's own creature. Did a quick search of the internet and although most seem to say it's a reliable setup, I see no parts for these things anywhere! If I were to purchase this boat one of the first things I would do is change the impeller. However after looking, I'm not even sure where I would find a common part like that! I've seen a few other Yamaha sterndrives around so there must be some parts for them somewhere...I just can't seem to locate them. Any thoughs or suggestions on this would be nice...<br /><br />thanx

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP !!!

Hello, Let me be the first to welcome you to iBoats! Yammie stopped making those drives quite a while ago. From what I understand parts (if you can find 'em) are quite expensive. There is a gentleman here on this board who stocks parts and repairs those drives. His name is Ken. You can E-mail Ken at TheCaptKen@aol.com I would personally look for another boat with a common Alpha 1 outdrive. There are plenty of good condition, used and affordable small bowriders out there. I have myself a Sea Ray with Alpha 1 and 2.5 four banger. LOTS of boats with this engine/drive package around as most people who crave performance upgrade to a different boat. As long as you don't want larger horsepower this might be fine for you. Just a suggestion! Good luck in whatever you decide to do! ;)

nickwilson

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice. After your reply and further research I belive I'll keep looking. Heck, if gas prices get and higher (over $2.00/gal in some places around here) I may be in the market for a paddle boat! Any advice on those? :)

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome Nick!!!<br /><br />I have a '93 Sierra bowrider with the 3.0 litre 4 cylinder Yamaha I/O and other than a fried upper bearing in the outdrive due to low lube I have had NO PROBLEMS with it.It is just like any other drive setup>>Proper maintenance<<.<br /><br />With all the helpful folks on this site I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.Just my .02 worth.<br /><br />HAPPY BOATING!!!!!!!