help

brett1980

Recruit
I want to restore my aristocraft but I think the foam needs to be replaced
Can anyone explain the best way to go about this. Its a late 70's model with a 120hp

ziggy

Admiral
Re: help

did ya read this thread?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=304353

while i've not done the deed. someone else here, can't remember who, did. from memory, since i can't find the thread. he cut large holes under the carpet to get at the wet foam. said he used a spade, a crow bar a large long drill bit to help loosen it up. scooped it out and replaced it.. basically any tool ya can use to loosen it and scoop it out with it sounds like to me.

good luck.

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

aristocraft what exactly?? there not all made identical, even same model but a year different is made very different as im seeing!

btw ... just reading it it sounds rude but i really wasnt trying to be

aristocraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If its a 70's anything its a nineteen. Yours is a late model nineteen. On your particular model replacing the foam is a little easier then on cedarjunks because of the change in the model.
Just like with cars the boats called the nineteen were pretty much the same all through the years with minor changes in production. The biggest change was when the boat first came out the first 1970 models use the same floor plan as the eighteen, and did not have the ski locker up the middle, and the next year the ski locker was added changing a few things. But the hull and everything was still the same. The job is not horrible. just read the thread ziggy posted and you will get the gist of it, then you are off to the races. Good luck.

motherofdog

Cadet

Seaman is right, so far it hasn't been a horrible job, though we haven't started refilling yet. The thread "foam" is excellent for detailed instructions on getting the foam out. We cut holes in the fiberglass yesterday, between the back facing front seat and the back seat. We really believe the majority of our water is in the back half of our 19. So today we're going to cut under the 2 back seats, remove the gas tank and continue digging out. It beats the heck out of sanding that's for sure!