help

jobassing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my inlaws bought a 22 foot sail boat and don't even know how to raise the mast is there a vido or book thay can get till thay find a class

Beached

Cadet
Re: help

jobassing,<br /> In the New Jersey area I've found the best selection of books,video and information at two boating stores.Boat U.S. and West marine.Both companies have great web sites.

jobassing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's a chrysler it's in great shape new sails moter 9.9hp johnson nice boat for 1500 but thaY have nevereven been on a sailboat let alone sailed one i think there nuts and there first trip will end up on stupid human tricks :p :D

sloopy

Commander

O,K first thing, get a pro to go with you the first time, pay him, and get to know him, hewould show you how to step the mast and sail,I am 16 years old and own a 20 foot sailboat, I am the only saior in my family an have bean sailing since I was 6, I am a 3rd boat owner. (actualy 4 sailboats, 6 outboard, a dingy and an ugly home made folding boat!) there are alot of safty issues with the mast, and rigging, you need someone to show you how and what to do. just find a good sailor to show you the ropes (remember there are no ropes on a sailboat) after you get use to sailing and stepping and un stepping your mast (hint* get a tension guage to help set rigging, and always carry a bag ofextra cotter pins and rings) once you can sorta sail, join a beganing sailors club, or invite other newbies on your boat to sail, then the next week you go sail on there boat. there are also on the water sailing classes. I would recomened you check out Sailnet.com you can email me at sailsail@sailnet.net if you need for info<br />!!!

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Many good recommendations.<br /><br />Just looked at the iboats mall on this site. There are a few hundred sailing books, many for beginners and many cruising books too, some videos, and some sailing CDs.<br /><br />That's probably the most sailing books I have ever seen in one place. <br /><br />Luckily my wife and the relatives give me most of my books for Christmas and birthdays :)<br /><br />- bayman