help

dave6558

Cadet
anyone know off hand what size the bolts are to take off a connecting rod cap on a 50 hp force .<br />they are 12 pt i think and also what should i torque them too when i reinstall them?<br />A 7mm12pt didnt fit its too big<br />thanks dave

alcan

Commander
Re: help

Hi Dave<br /> Your going to like this answer. The manual states to use special tool #T-2953 a 12 point scocket. Sorry it does not give the size of this rascal. If you can't get something to fit. You can probably order the tool from your local Merc dealer.

shindig888

Seaman

Hi Dave what is your reason to have your engine apart? ive got a 91 force 50... Does the rod have caps on the rod ends? and does it have plain bearings or needles?

Jim H

Recruit

Dave,<br />Size is 1/4" 12pt. Just got done changing a piston on my 90hp. Can get a 3/8" drive socket from sears or snap-on...........Jim

dave6558

Cadet

hey guys thanks for the help<br /><br />it was a 6 mm 12pt or a 1/4 as guy above says so im going with it<br /><br />shindig888 it has caps on the crank end of the rods and big needle bearing which are loose, I'm going to have to use some grease and stick 14 or 16 needle bearing in by hand and try to get the cage and caps back on. Nice to not have to press the rods on the crank which i cant do ,but the piston end is pressed in when its stock so i plan on hammering it out tonight with a socket or something, the new aftermarket will have clips.<br />I have to find a lower crank seal and then i can assemble it all. I'll post if it works or not.<br /><br />i give it 50 -50 chance i can get it running the first time. i can build the motor but with all the wires and stuff i took off of it the rest wont be easy / i took a ton of pictures <br /><br />The Muskys are at 40+lbs this year and we didnt get our lures running before it died last trip out. well you understand if you fish for musky's<br />cya dave

alcan

Commander

Dave<br />I know how it is when there is fihing that needs to be done. Man 50-50 ain't too good of odds here. For a quick $40 bucks and an evening in the easy chair with your new manual you could probably double those odds in your favor. Good job taking the photos. Vasoline works great for needle bearings.

dave6558

Cadet

got it rebuilt ,only replaced one piston and it aint never been so smooth running, only problem was a low idle and constantly fouled plugs everytime i stopped . I think it was from running it at 24 to 1 plus oil i put on everything inside too<br /><br />8 hour job ,$147.00, im back in business <br /><br /><br />thanks for the help