Help with USED Optimax purchase!

Korbs67

Seaman
Hi All,
I'm looking at 2001 Optimax 135, Saltwater (used in fresh water).

Its on a crate, came with current owners boat. He ecided to put an Yamaha on b/c he wanted on water and it was a working motor and the Opti became a low priority. Issue with the motor is that its not taking in fuel past idle speed. Apparently compression is 110 in all 6. According to seller's Merc tech at marina the powerhead is very solid other than this particular issue. I've read all about the good and bad on Opti's, most of bad is on the 200+hp 3.0l versions from what I can tell.

My merc mech said he'd hook up the ecm for codes and thought it could be something very simple that is overlooked easily unless one knows Opti's well. I trust my mech's word, however, I understand i may not ever get it running properly but I'm optimistic I could. I just rebuilt and have a perfectly good '89 60hp but I'm facinated by the idea of max hp on my heavy aluminum17ft fish/ski.That is quickly becoming a tube/ski boat with kids getting older and more people on my boat.

Anyway, its $2,000 for the motor, controls, guages (not smartcraft). Mercury (corporate) said they'd reflash for n/c and get it smartcraft "ready".My mech can do it as well.

Am I asking for trouble?? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

REDDFISH

Cadet
Re: Help with USED Optimax purchase!

Hi All,
I'm looking at 2001 Optimax 135, Saltwater (used in fresh water).

Its on a crate, came with current owners boat. He ecided to put an Yamaha on b/c he wanted on water and it was a working motor and the Opti became a low priority. Issue with the motor is that its not taking in fuel past idle speed. Apparently compression is 110 in all 6. According to seller's Merc tech at marina the powerhead is very solid other than this particular issue. I've read all about the good and bad on Opti's, most of bad is on the 200+hp 3.0l versions from what I can tell.

My merc mech said he'd hook up the ecm for codes and thought it could be something very simple that is overlooked easily unless one knows Opti's well. I trust my mech's word, however, I understand i may not ever get it running properly but I'm optimistic I could. I just rebuilt and have a perfectly good '89 60hp but I'm facinated by the idea of max hp on my heavy aluminum17ft fish/ski.That is quickly becoming a tube/ski boat with kids getting older and more people on my boat.

Anyway, its $2,000 for the motor, controls, guages (not smartcraft). Mercury (corporate) said they'd reflash for n/c and get it smartcraft "ready".My mech can do it as well.

Am I asking for trouble?? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

I had a 1999 135 optimax .
That 6 cylinder (same as 150 hp ) is bullet proof .
Sounds like you have good compression ?
Is there a chance owner would let you take it to checked out B4 Purchase?
the controls gage package for my 135 was 850.00 back in 1999

Korbs67

Seaman
Re: Help with USED Optimax purchase!

REDDFISH,
Thanks. I made the move on this motor and so far no regrets. It was fairly rough looking until I clenaed it up, repainted the mid and lower sections, look new. More importantly, I did some basic maintenance of the water supply, ran some quickleen, checked most every system I could for any electrical flaws. I did what the forum and my local merc mech said and "Just ran it". The alarm that concerned me was simply a faulty oil reservior sensor but. I've run agressive additives and 89-93 octane and this thing is really perking up. Idle a bit rough but better and better each outing. In the off season i will likely send my injectors to be serviced and inspected and replace any that need to be. Oh, I opened the sylinderheads to be sure I was solid in the holes and see no signs of detonation..a couple light scratches in the cylinder walls but not rebuild worthy for sure (maybe one day). compression in my 5 is 118 and #1 are 118psi and they have the slightly scraped holes..go figure. Anyway, I think I got lucky, knock on wood!! Take care!