Help with trim travel limit swith adjustment

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope I didn't screw something up. Here's where I'm at.

Using the in and out switch the unit had been going up and down no problem. Using the up switch and the out switch together had been bringing the unit to the trailer position no problem. The trim switch didn't work at all though.

I was told that to get it working I needed to adjust the limit switch on the left side. It was new and unadjusted so this made sense. I'd been given a 10 page installation and adjustment sheet with the boat so grabbed that sheet and now have a problem. The unit is now all the way up and won't go down no matter what.

I adjusted the switch all the way clockwise with the drive unit all the way down/in.

Then I raised the unit all the way up. After that I wouldn't move anymore. Not while manually moving the limit switch. Not by using any of the switches on the dash. And not while manually jumping the down solenoid. The hydraulic pump spins but the unit never goes down.

Now what?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Help with trim travel limit swith adjustment

Sorry for not saying. The drive is a 1980 model Mercruiser.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just looking at old Mercruiser manual and found a troubleshooting checklist. First thing mentioned for a drive that won't release from full up is a low battery. I could hear the pump activate but nothing moved. So not sure that's the problem. But the switch had been on for awhile and the battery isn't new. So battery is a charger and will double check grounds and other connections while it's charging. Would be great if it's that simple.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The pump valves may be jammed from being full up and pressurized.
If the trim motor runs but the drive doesn't move, while holding the trim to down, bounce on the drive to free up the stuck valve. This usually works.
The trim limit switch has nothing to do with down at all, and the switch prevents the pump from running.
Here is how you adjust the trim limit switch on the older MC-1 drives.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim Limit adjust manual 4.jpg
    Trim Limit adjust manual 4.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The pump valves may be jammed from being full up and pressurized.
If the trim motor runs but the drive doesn't move, while holding the trim to down, bounce on the drive to free up the stuck valve. This usually works.

Want to make sure I understand correctly. While engaging the "down" hydraulics bounce on the drive? I can use a remote starter button connected to the down solenoid. It's harness is long enough to reach while I'm "bouncing" at the back end of the boat.

Wouldn't have thought of this for awhile. Thanks for the heads up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You could also get a friend to hold the button.

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, what's Plan B?

While engaging the hydraulics to go down I shook, bounced and pushed as hard as I could. What's next to release whatever is hung up?

ihaveabrownboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Apologies to the moderators. Just realized this is no longer a limiting switch question. Your rules of posting probably want it to be a new thread.