HELP with trailer length

Alc420

Recruit
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2005 Sea Fox 197 and am looking for a trailer for it. I found a 2020 Venture VATB-6425 for a decent price and was wondering if anyone knew if my boat would fit on the trailer. The trailer previously held a 24 ft boat.

Thank you!
Alc

harringtondav

Commander
Boat trailers are specified by boat weight, beam and length. These specs define the largest, heaviest boat that can safely be hauled on the trailer.
Below is a link to Venture's catalogue with the specs for the VATB-6425. It looks like your boat will fit this trailer, but you need to verify.
The trailer is plenty large for your boat. The only drawbacks vs a properly sized trailer is it will weigh more than necessary. ...Not a real problem if your tow vehicle can handle the trailer/boat load.
Also getting your boat positioned for 10% tongue weight could be an issue, not knowing the winch mast rearward adjustment. ...doesn't look like much if any. Bunks look nonadjustable, but you may be able to use longer 2x6's to move the boat forward. Also it doesn't look like the axles can be pushed back for more tongue weight.
So, maybe the price is good, but the trailer may be too large.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look for a shorter trailer for your 20' boat