Help with trailer fit

Frozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just purchased a 1988 Trophy 2359 without a trailer. So I purchased a 23ft trailer. I but the boat on the trailer yesterday and it just doesn't fit and good as I think it should. Also I believe I need to add a keel roller. The other issue is how much of the boat can hang off the back of the trailer? Should I put longer rollers on the back? Or extend the tongue and move the boat up onto the trailer more? Thanks for and help!

Untitled by frozen1387, on Flickr

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Help with trailer fit

Ayuh,... It's Waaaay to small of a wagon for that hull....

NYBo

Admiral

I agree with Bond-o. That trailer is a couple of feet too short.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like you need about 2-3' of lenght on that trailer. Can you extend the channel out by the coupler?

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

it just doesn't fit as (sic) good as I think it should.

I'm in full agreement with you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Find a properly sized and rated trailer, buy it, and once your boat is off this one, sell it. If you paid a fair price for this trailer, someone else will come along and give you the same for it and you shouldn't be out anything.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

there IS room to move the winch stand forward all the way to the coupler but the weight rating of the trailer has to be high enough for the boat.... if that is a 7000 lb trailer you MIGHT be ok but you would be better off with a 28-30' trailer

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

unless of course you plan to tow it with the van in the background..... in that case you need a longer trailer no matter what

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Adding length to the tongue will only make it unstabil. The transom really needs support.

I would look for a new one...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I added 6' to the tongue of an ez loader exactly like that for my 26' carver.... I later shortened that to 2' extra because it flexed too much and I had intentionally added more than I would need because I was unsure what my finished length would be... It was definitely less than ideal but my boat was surely heavier than yours..... It WAS however just as stable as anything else..... I don't recommend adding length to the tongue tho... what I do and what I recommend are not the same thing lol.....

BTW The 30' trailer under the boat in my sig was purchased for the carver because the ez loader was too small although I used it at least weekly for 2 seasons.... the big trailer never got put under the carver tho because I got the wellcraft before I got around to switching