Help with Tie Rod - Steering piston location.

mannyq

Seaman
How important is it that the tie rod be on the same tongue hole on twin engine setup?<br /><br />I purchased the boat (2000 Legacy\Seafox repo) with twin Johnsons and hyrdualic steering. During the survey it was noted that there was play/leakage at the steering piston and that I should bleed it and check the seals. Eventually I found that the leak was caused by a nick in the piston rod, caused by the rod hitting a bolt and the motor mount at the tilt pivot when steered hard to starboard. I purchased a new piston and in checking clearance i have noticed the the piston rod will hit the same bolt location if I install it as it was originally. I then decided to move the tie rod to the second set of holes (maked P on both tongues) and put the piston on the T marked hole. The problem there is that at full rudder, if either motor is tilted out of the water, the tie rod will hit the hydrualic fittings. So now I have the tie rod going from second hole or port to first on starboard and the piston on the first hole on port.<br /><br />I know this will throw out the geomerty when turning but is this acceptable? I also know that I will not get the same amount of travel by moving the pivot point further away from the turning point but I think it's only 1 to 1.5 inches in either direction.<br /><br />Piston is a SeaStar Splashwell Mount SeaStar It is mounted with the base inside hole being bolted through with starboard motor mount bolt and second hole has a second bolt.<br /><br />Tie bar has no name has 2 sleeves that once adjusted, you jam them against each other to lock it in place. I can post pictures later if the setup is unclear.<br /><br />Thanks.