help with thoughts on charging

427hawk

Seaman
hello i have a 1964 v-4 mag style evinrude , this motor does not have a charging system of anykind my question is should i use 2 batteries one just for starting the motor and the second to run depth finder, lights, ect or is one battery sufficient for a couple of days on the lake , or is there another way to keep the batteries charged , this motor as an option could be equipped with a generator , but who wants the hassel of something that never worked real well <br />i am new to boating so take it easy on me ok lol <br />thanks !!!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: help with thoughts on charging

Under these conditions, I believe I would want a battery reserved only for starting the motor. If the motor starts easily and you don't run the battery down cranking, it should easily last several days. A second battery could power all the other stuff and serve as an emergency "cranker". The important thing would be to start out with them both fully charged on a good charger e.g. a good "step-charger" with a trickle finish and auto cutoff, especially if you go with a deep cycle for the second battery. Welcome to the forum.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Yea, get two batteries. A deep cycle for the accessories and a starting battery for the motor. Should last you a couple a days just fine.

427hawk

Seaman

thanks for the replies , just a bit of electrical work no big deal what are the advantages of a deep cycle battery verses a convential car battery ??

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Deep cycle batteries are designed to tolerate being run down and recharged over and over, starting batteries are designed to be kept at or near full charge.

outonbizniz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hawk..<br />If your evinrude is a 1964 V4 with battery ignition...(50HP and up)...you have an alternator providing between 15 and 20 AMPS..that would be enough to charge your battery and run some accessories.

427hawk

Seaman

this is the mag style without battery ignition and is not equipped with a generator , but thanks for the reply

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />After starting the engine you only use the battery for the accessories.Probably one deep cycle would be plenty to do that for several days.You can buy a sears trickle charger for less than 30 dollars. Just recharge it overnight on the charger or with cables from your car for half an hour. That way you start fresh every time you go out.<br />It is a good idea to make sure your battery does not sit in a puddle of water overnight as well as by day.<br />Enjoy!