HELP with my 1970 85hp

edandq

Seaman Apprentice
I posted and got some fantastic responses with respect to my hydrostatic drive--not going into drive, etc... I was able to isolate it down to the lower unit, and then decided to take it to a technician. I think I messed up by doing that, but... here's the deal. He has resealed the lower unit (needed some new seals) and it still didn't shift, so I authorized him to go futher. He did so, and now says I have a broken tooth off my forward drive and a hydraulic piston (actuator) was stuck but should be replaced. So, he's saying I should replace the forward gear, it's mating bevel (I think), and the piston. These parts alone are almost a grand plus the labot and labor I already have in it! What do I do? Thoughts? If I could find another lower unit I may do that, but looked on ebay and can't find one... Please help!

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP with my 1970 85hp

I think that paying that much for those parts and the labor would be a mistake on such an old engine. I would keep my eye out for a used one, and try to go that route. maybe contact http://www.twincityoutboard.com/ <br />Also, I have a 1970 100hp, and may be able to help. email me. v.hamso@verizon.net

DHPMARINE

Captain

edandq I don't have the answer you want.I am comming to the conclusion that at todays labor costs,and the price of these older parts it is just not worth fixing.<br />I realize you have money invested in this motor.But it is 30+ years old.Probable value under $300.00. (in good running order).<br />Even doing it yourself,the parts outway repairing.<br />DHP

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't just look for a lower unit - look for a complete motor with a blown powerhead. Grab the Yellow Pages and call every marine shop in town. Bet you find one for less than $500.00. Strip what you need & part out the rest on ebay.

ledgefinder

Ensign

You can try eBay for the LU. Anything from a 1969-1972 V4 will fit (85/100/115/125). The LUs from the triples (55-65hp) do NOT fit, though they look the same. They'll run from $50 to 200. Ideally, you want one that's been tested to shift, pressure-tested, and has a fresh water pump.

bidlimit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:mad: Oh! The woes of electric shift!!!!!! :mad:

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know you are quite a ways from here but you might contact this guy (he has tons of old motors)that's about all he deals in. Here's his web site hope it help you out. www.outboardrecycle.com

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, I have a lower unit on a '70 100 with a frozen powerhead. I am not sure if it works, but if you tell me how to check, Ill check. I would be willing to sell it cheap.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You just have to get power to your controls, put it in forward and see if you can turn the prop, with no power the prop should spin free, then do the same thing in rev. if it will do the free spin and lock in gear when you hit the forward button it should be ok. Kind of like checking a manual shift except you have to have power on the electric shift.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its a hydroelectric then it should be in forward when ever the engine is not running or no power to the solenoids. The only way to actually check it is to run the engine or in some way spin the driveshaft so the hydrualic pump can function. You can put power to the solenoids but without hydraulic action nothing will happen. I speak from many hours of hard experience. I had the same problem and stripped my lu down to the bare case several times. Checked every part, measured, polished etc. Turns out that a thrust washer was missing a piece that was then ground up by the gears and the tiny metal particles found their way into the hydro pump. These tiny particles embedded themselves into the pump where the piston travels and were just enough to stop the piston. was able to polish it out and functions fine now.

edandq

Seaman Apprentice

Appreciate all the responses. My wife and I talked it out and she said she supported a new engine, so... I was able to give the engine to the mechanic and pay nothing. I know, I know, I could have parted it out, but I just don't have the space or the time! But I wanted to thank you all for the responses and insight, this board is very valuable!