Help with ID of two motors

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a boat with 2 motors.

90 HP Evinrude has a tag E 90 ML CRD with serial # J0406286. I need the year I suspect to be around 1974.

It also has a 15 HP Johnson kicker motor and I cannot find a tag or numbers on it anywhere. I suspect it to be about the same vintage. Where should the numbers be?

Thank you

Gary

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with ID of two motors

E90MLCRD is a 1984 90hp Evinrude.

15hp..... quarter size core plug on the powerhead may have the model & serial number on it (looks like a small freeze out plug).

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Joe. It does seem a bit odd because the boat in a 1974 Whaler and this appears to be the only big engine ever mounted on it unless the mounting brackets remain constant throughout the years.

I just checked the 15 Johnson and can see the freeze plug but no numbers on it. On the right side of the mounting bracket there is a raised plate molded in to the bracket that looks like where the numbers should have gone but none are there.

Any other clues you might have?

Gary

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Standing in back of the engine, facing the spark plugs, there should be a small plate on the left (port) transom bracket (what you might be calling a mounting bracket). That plate should have both the model number and the serial number imprinted upon it.

If it has been painted over, remove the paint.

Insert some pictures, especially of the side, front, & back of the hood. Someone will recognize it.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe, I have a photobucket account and will get some pics.

Which of the 3 links should I use to post here? Forums that accept the photos I use the IMG link.

Gary

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I use Photobucket also..... Pretty sure that it's the bottom link, as you say, the "IMG" link.

I find it best to hold the pixel width of the pictures down to 600 otherwise one has to scroll sideways to see everything.

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice

Test run on posting pics. More to follow if this works right.

100_0428.jpg

100_0429.jpg

100_0430.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0432.jpg

Gary