HELP WITH I/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemomo

Cadet
I bought a boat 6 weeks ago, went out 4 times, today I went out and was keep the RPM at 3500, suddenly, the boat went into neutral and the gauges went ballistic. Water Temperature went up.<br />I open the hose by the thermostat, no water in it...<br />Two guys at the ramp assume that, the water pump in the outdrive must be gone. <br /><br />What course of action should I take, the dealer gave me 30 days warranty half half.<br />The engine is a 130 HP Mercury 3.0L 4 cylinder inline, and the outdrive is an Alpha 1.<br /><br />Please any advise would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks :mad:

crazyray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP WITH I/O

if you felt as if boat went to netural you probably broke the coupler or part of the upper drive.....if coupler broke there is no rotation of driveshft to turn water pump...pull the drive and check the coupler......sorry if its bad pretty sure engine will have to come out

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Lemomo<br />It could be a coupler or upper gear box, but let me ask a question how did you get back in??? If the coupler or upper gear box is bad enough to not turn the water pump you would of had to be towed back in.<br />Also if coupler is that bad or gear box you can put motor in gear with the motor stop and on the trailer and still be able to turn the prop.<br /><br />Do you ever run the motor when not in the water???

lemomo

Cadet

I was towed in,luckily I was a seatow member. the only time I run the engine not in the water is when I flush it after usage with the smuff in and the hose attached, and under 3 minutes as told by the Dealer.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

LEMOMO<br />I would take it back to the dealer and see what he will do. Likely cost to have repaired is between $500 and $1500 so let him know you trusted him to sell a boat in good shape. I think as long as water pump get water can run much longer than three mimutes. If fact in three minutes you are not going to flush anything out of the moror. Good luck

lemomo

Cadet

Thank you all for your reply, the mechanic who get contract from the dealer called me and me the news that the upper drive is no good ( from what he explained to me the upper drive is like the transmission). The cost is 2600.00, I bought this boat 6 weeks ago from Islander Boat on Long Island NY, I am trying to reach the guy who sold me the boat. I am also trying to contact a lawyer, because the mechanic told me that this should not happened in such a short notice.<br />It was my third time out on the boat.<br />If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate. Let me know what action I can take.<br />I paid a little over 5000.00 dollars.

f_inscreenname

Commander

First of all you shouldnt be paying 2600.00 for any part of a outdrive. You could buy a new drive(whole thing) for that kind of money (do web search) and replacing it is not that hard (even know you shouldnt be doing any labor on a dealer bought boat that short time ago).Maby it is time for a lawyer.

lemomo

Cadet

Yes indeed I did some search on the WWW and it came out to be 1400.00 for the most expensive, someone told me the labor would be 2 hours. I am waiting to speak to the Manager at Islander Boat of Port Jeff on Long Island to see what the deal is.<br />I trusted those people so much and I know I paid more so that I could have peace of mind for at least one season. <br /><br />Otherwise I will be getting in touch with a lawyer. I'll fix it for 1500.00 and the Balance would go to the Lawyer.<br /><br />Once again thank you all for your reply and may God Bless You All.

Status
Not open for further replies.