help with engine wont start.

garzaglass

Seaman
1978 75h evinrude

i cant get the engine to turn over at all. the starter does nothing like its not getting electric. i know the key works cause it engages the choke selinode when i push it in but wont do anything when i turn the key. i tried cleaning all the electrical connections and nothing. also tried another battery and nothing. it was working fine before i started doing maintenance on the engine. all i have done so far is remove, clean and install the carbs, fuel pump, and water pump. also i replaced the thermostat. the only thing i forgot was what looked like a grounding wire that went on one of the thermostat housing bolts. i connected it back and the engine still wont start. the only thing i havent got done is the choke linkage on the carbs. cant figure those out but i wanted to see if the engine would start while i manualy did the choke when i found out its not getting electric. please help im pulling my hair out.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: help with engine wont start.

Check the inline 20 amp fuse located at the starter. It is likely shot.

garzaglass

Seaman

i found what i think is that fuse in a red rubber housing. i checked it and it looked fine. when i had that fuse out the choke selonoid would not engage. when i put the fuse back the selenoid would engage but the engine will still not start. this fuse was next to a round thing that has wires comming and going to the starter. is there a way to trouble shoot the starter or this round thing?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Lanyard or kill switch at the controls? Time to get a multi-meter and start checking where you are getting voltage.
Have you jumped from the battery straight to the starter posts?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Gary, your kill circuit is likely at fault. Ensure your lanyard clip is attached securely. Trace the black/yellow wire.

Sorry I missed your mention of the choke solenoid engaging or I would have not had you waste your time checking the fuse.

garzaglass

Seaman

there has never been a kill swch or lanyard that i know of. the only way the engine has not started before was when its in gear. ive wiggled the gear lever around and tried to start it and nothing. i do have a multimeter but wouldnt know how to troubleshoot the electronics. any instructions on that? when you say starter posts are you talking about the pos and neg on the starter? sorry, never done this before.

update:
i got my jumper cables and hooked one side pos and neg to my battery. then i touched the other positive end to the red wire where it connects to the starter and it enages and turns the engine. so this rules out the starter. where do i go from here?

thanks.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

HighTrim is more up on the electrical, I would test for 12 volts at the starter solenoid when the key is being held in the start position.
Also test with jumper cables again,just using the + side.If you get nothing then its a ground problem.
Being you didn't work on the controls and just on the motor itself makes me thing a wire is loose or not connected.You probably had some of that stuff loose when working on the fuel pumps and carbs.
Hang in there we will figure it out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good grief!!

What do you guys think the "Outboard won't start" article in Engine FAQs is for?

Go there, Garza. Do the starter circuit troubleshooting and let us know what you find.

garzaglass

Seaman

ended up being the clutch swch. dont know how that went bad but it was pretty rusted and froze up. i just pulled it out and connected the wires together. i dont see a problem with not having it. took the boat out yesterday and it runs great. no more hesitation at high throttle.

one thing i noticed when i started for the first time with a muff is that some of the old gear oil came out. not very much maybe a cup full then it seemed to stop. is this common after changing the gear oil? could it have been overfilled?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Glad you figured it out!
When you filled the drive did you pump it from the bottom slow until it came out the top hole?
It more than likely was unburnt 2 stroke oil from the engine sitting.
Put some on your finger and smell it,gear oil has a very distinct odor.

garzaglass

Seaman

yes i pumped it from the bottom. i didn't have a chance to smell it cause it was mixing with the water coming out of the muff but im pretty sure it was some of the old gear oil cause it was jet black unless thats what old gas could look like coming out. ill just take the top screw off the lower unit to check it and top it off if need be.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If it was a dark looking goo it was 2 stroke oil,it should be fine.Wouldn't hurt to check the lower unit lube though.
After i service mine i usually check it after the first run.I guess i'm just paranoid about that kind of stuff..:rolleyes: