Help With Controls Swap = 85hp/125hp PICS

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Just picked up this NOS US Marine control assembly and went to swap it in place of my original US Marine controls and I've run into some problems.

Original controls (white) 1986

New Controls (Black)

Does it look right, like it should work? What holds the cables in place on the new control?

I don't mind fabricating parts or buying new cables if someone can just point me in the right direction.

Thanks, James

boat0017.jpg

boat0018.jpg

boat0019.jpg

john from md

Commander
Re: Help With Controls Swap = 85hp/125hp PICS

Send a private message to Frank Acampora. He will be able to tell you if it will work.

John

stcroixjoe

Cadet

there should be an end that screws on your cable then that goes into the shift linkage and held on by a retaing/locking washer

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You need the Mercury type cable ends that fit over the pins on the control arms. Some were metal and some were plastic but both types screwed onto the cable ends. They are not expensive. Opposite the wires, there is a metal plate slid into the plastic housing. This holds the cable jackets. Other than that, it is a direct replacement. Looking ast the rat's nest of wires, it appears that there is a trim switch in the control handle--nice convenient touch if you do have it.

The thin black cable runs up under the dash. It should have the purple wire for tachometer signal, possibly red 12 volt, and black ground. Some had the wires for trim, and some had the trim wires in the thick black cable that runs to the engine terminal board.

And I can't see it from the back, but those black plastic boxes usually came with a dead-man's switch mounted right by the ignition switch. If you have it be certain the clip is installed or the engine will not start.

You do not show it but there should be a cover plate for the back. in addition to protecting everything, it holds in the grommet that the thin black cable passes through and the cable retaining plate.

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice

Yes Frank, it has the rear cover. The part that is missing is the cable retaining plate that hold the cables secure. You (or anyone else) wouldn't happen to have a picture of what it looks like and how it functions? I can try and fabricate one but it would help to know what it looked like.

So you are saying I can just buy some Mercury style ends that will work on my cables?

Thanks for the help! James

**EDIT** Can someone please point me in the right direction on the cable ends, maybe a URL or something. There are too many different cable types to know what I have and what will work. Crowley's shows both the ends and the retaining plate NLA. Thanks, James

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice

Figured it out. Just milled out the plate and ends. Works like a charm now. Thanks for the help. James