Help with a 1992 Mercury 2 stroke

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
serial number 0D147179
I was "gifted" this 9.9 Mercury 2 stroke. Idea was to get it running and sell it.
Needed a new CDI switch box. Got one, installed, have spark.
Have fuel hose, but no fuel tank. Clipped one end of hose to motor, pinned open other end and dropped into gas can with 50-1 mix, Pump up fuel bowl, crank it. Runs a second or two then stalls. Runs a few seconds if I put a bit of gas in carb or cylinders.
  1. Does it need to be hooked up to a proper gas tank to run properly? Does having the tank end pinned open affect how the fuel is drawn in?
  2. Does anyone have an owner's manual for this so I can learn proper starting procedure? I see there's a primer button that seems to come out one notch further for... choke?
Any help is much appreciated.
Wayne

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the fuel pump. you may need to rebuild the carb

dont forget to put in a water pump

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a dirty carb. If you fill the carb bowl with fuel she should run a minute or so, if the carb is clean.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Max, Your motor has a mechanical fuel pump, in addition to the impeller water pump.
Follow the fuel line from where it enters the cowling and before it hits the carbs. Sometimes the fuel pump is built into the carb. Not sure on your motor.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Max, Your motor has a mechanical fuel pump, in addition to the impeller water pump.
Follow the fuel line from where it enters the cowling and before it hits the carbs. Sometimes the fuel pump is built into the carb. Not sure on your motor.
Thanks! I’ve discovered the mechanical fuel pump is part of the carb and I will service it as part of the rebuild and clean I will be doing. Have ordered the kit to redo it.

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may have found one of the problems. This is the gasker

Attachments

• DA92CFF8-4E91-4F68-98F8-1775811FE2CC.jpeg
    DA92CFF8-4E91-4F68-98F8-1775811FE2CC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8