help with 91 merc. 115...

hi guys,
just got my boat. was checking out everything. its been sitting like 1 year. i checked compression here are numbers..1-128..2-127..3-129..4-131. those numbers seem good to me. i have got good spark. should i go ahead and rebuild carbs? if i rebuild are the 4cylinder mercs. hard to sinc couse i heard only 2 are used at idle. should i do a decarb on engine? any advice would be appreciated...

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help with 91 merc. 115...

For me...when ever i buy something......i go right through everything.
So....i would....rebuild water pump, new lower end lube,grease prop shaft, complete tuneup with S and L, clean carbs, new filters, decarb engine, get old gas out, check fluid and operation of tilt and trim....then your ready for a test run to see if your running at least minimum rpm.
Then if there is anything wrong with the boat, i repair or replace......the same with the trailer.
There is nothing worst than going on a fishing trip and having something break down.
By going through everything, you will know your rig from top to bottom.......Get the sevice manual also.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: help with 91 merc. 115...

get it running then diagnois. read in the engine faq forum "awakening a sleeping outboard" i'd be more worried about the impeller(water pump). be sure to put the muffs on with water before trying to start.

he was posting when it was typing, and i agree