help with '70 Johnson 25 horse

natelawson

Cadet
I just bought a 14' flatbottom with a '70 johnson 25 hp tiller steer and i was wondering what the motor controls were, this one was sitting out in the elements for a while and all of the writing has faded off. All i really need to know is what the knob in the front center is for, and how to put it in gear. And i need to know where the kill switch is

thank you in advance for your help

Xcusme

Commander
Re: help with '70 Johnson 25 horse

Welcome to iboats!

Your motor has a fixed high speed jet, so there's no high speed mixture needle valve. The knob in the center adjusts the low speed mixture needle valve. To the right of the center knob should be the manual stop button. Since this motor has a standard magneto ignition, that stop button would have 2 wires going to the 2 point sets to kill the motor when pressed. The stop button would be a Normally Open, single pole type switch.

natelawson

Cadet

thanks for your help. does anyone know where the gear select is; is it the handle on the side opposite the tiller

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

there should be a paddle like lever sticking out in the area opposite of the tiller just like you mentioned, that should be your shift lever. I believe it is just like my 1970 9.5hp Johnson.

I rives my above statement, that motor may have a lever about mid way down the lower cowling on the opposite side of the tiller handle.

natelawson

Cadet

i got my motor running smoothly, but i ran into a problem, my motor will not shift into gear any suggestions.
it feels like it goes into gear, but just not spinning the prop

jbjennings

Captain

Take your prop off and see if the drive pin is sheared.... then again, just put it in gear and see if the prop will spin when you turn it by hand. If it does, it's either still in neutral or your drive pin is sheared. If it's sheared, try to turn the prop shaft by hand when it's in gear. If it won't turn, you're probably o.k. and just need a new drive pin.
JBJ

natelawson

Cadet

whenever i put it into gear the prop will spin, and when i took the prop off the prop shaft would move about 1/4 of a turn in each direction when turned by hand, i held the shifter as far forward as I could and the tried to turn the shaft by hand and it would not turn
my drve pin is good, maybe a problem inside the lower unit?

natelawson

Cadet

i would like to thank everyone who helped me, i think i finally figured out the problem the lever shifter and cradle werent hooked up to the clutch dog, i guess whoever owned the boat before messed with it and screwed it up, i wont be able to test it until tomorrow due to the fact that its almost midnight here in arkansas