help with 1962 evinrude and finding screws by thread size

reckless

Seaman Apprentice
im rebuilding an evinrude 1962"fisherman" 5524r<br />and i need a new impeller housing 323596(dont wanna mess with ebay)<br />are omc parts directly compatible with johnson evinrude?(same thing) the bolts i need are a m6x1.25 stainless steel, i cant find any online,and what would be the sae equivalent?im having trouble understanding these thread confugurations i also need to rebuild a lower unit for a 83johnson v4 and need the socket for the drive shaft spline<br />omc 311875, i can get a bearing carrier puller made here no need for the omc tool,but hows this as a replacement? <br /> http://www.tooldesk.com/products/productDetail.aspx+id+81

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: help with 1962 evinrude and finding screws by thread size

The screws for the impellor housing is a 10-24. Make sure you use stainless steel. The puller you are looking at should work. Johnson - Evinrude are the same.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> http://ase.tufts.edu/mechanical/shop/classes/me1/threading.htm <br /> that site should help you understand a bit about threads,<br /> you will need the socket for the driveshaft. I have made many by cutting the splined end from a badcrank and weling a 1/2 inch drive socket on it. if you pull the carrier by the two threaded holes be aware that the 5/16x18 threads will pull out. the nice thing is a 3/8x16 tap will go rignt back in the hole. if the carrier is stck heat helps.neither the 83 or the 62 modelOMC stuff used any metric fasteners.

reckless

Seaman Apprentice

nice info guys,i guess my homemade puller would be best, ive seen one that has lips that grip the outside of the carrier and doesnt use the screws.<br />the screws i need are not for the impeller housing (62 5.5)but for the powerhead to exaust manifold. i had to grind the heads off.Wish i could post pics to show u guys,in any event 2 of the holes need to be redone by a machine shop.any ideas of where to get the impeller housing 323596(1962 5.5hp)<br />i doubt ill find an old crank, id just buy the drive shaft nut if i could find it.( 83v4)<br />That page on threads was nice thanks for all the info guys