Help....what is this hole in my motor?

bob519

Cadet
There is a hole in my lower unit. I have no idea what it is, but it leaks gear oil. And of course it lets water in. What is it and how can I make it stop leaking. The motor is a 1956 johnson javelin. you can see the hole just above and behind the prop in the attached picture.

IMAG0375.jpg

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Help....what is this hole in my motor?

It appears to be a drain hole to let water out of the leg and if the gear oil smells "gassy" that is unburned oil and fuel from the engine and is ok and normal.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Every drop of oil that you put in the gas goes through the engine. Some is burned (smoke) and the rest goes out the exhaust. That hole is a drain hole for the exhaust cavity. Guess what? That oil in the exhaust drans out of it.

However, a leaking shift rod seal will also let gear oil drain out of it there too. In any case, if you have water leaking into the gearcase, you should repair it. No point in just replacing one seal, do them all. You have to tear it apart anyway.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take it into a dlr and have it pressure checked. That way you'll know exactly where it's leaking.

BonairII

Commander

Take it into a dlr and have it pressure checked. That way you'll know exactly where it's leaking.

Or just pressure test it yourself. Pump air into LU(7-10lbs I believe) and drop the foot in a tub of water....you'll see bubbles where there is a leak.

bob519

Cadet

I have put all new seals in the bottom end to include the shift linkage seal. After I buttoned it all back up and ran for about a half hour I drained the gear oil and still had a bit of water but not near as bad as before. My drive shaft has a ring worn around it where it rides on the driveshaft seal, but i measured the difference between the ring groove and a good spot on the shaft and it is only .005 inch. That wouldn't be enough to pass water would it?

And yes, after checking the drainage it does smell gassy. There is a heck of a lot of drainage and the think smokes a lot when running. Is 50:1 the right mix? If so, would it hurt to to adjust the ratio down?

BonairII

Commander

Never put LESS oil in your fuel than is called for.

I actually put a tad MORE oil in mine just to be on the safe side.

Does your 1956 actually call for 50:1 or is it 24:1?

bob519

Cadet

my mistake, it calls for 24:1 and that is what I've been using. Makes me wonder if leaving a trail of oil and smoke behind will scare the fish away when I'm trolling :confused:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Think of it as Mosquito Control