Help w/ Possible Buy. Ok bought it.

smr5

Recruit
Found a good little project boat on craigslist that I would like to share. It's a '96 140 Starcraft Fishmaster with a '96 Mercury 25. Needs a little tlc but should eventually make a nice little fishing tinny. Has a few issues says the PO. Electric choke isn't working, two seats and carpet are original and peeling. Small stuff it seems. Will be leaving to take a look at it soon.

Attachments

• 1996 starcraft.jpg
    1996 starcraft.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 7

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: Help w/ Possible Buy. '96 140 Fishmaster

Welcome smr5!

what kind of water do you plan to do most of your boating with your new vessel?

for that kind of cabbage, I'd be expecting a boat that size to only require cosmetic fixes.

If its been stored outside, there's a very good chance that the decking / floatation foam and maybe even transom will need to be replaced.

Check for soft spots anywhere something is fastened (seat bases, console, etc.) as well as the bilge area. Also check the transom wood to see if its rotting/soft/discolored, etc.

I don't know how the other guys here feel about fixing rivets from the outside (closed-end blind rivets)...personally I'd rather have access to the inside of the hull to properly buck or replace with a larger solid rivet (more negotiating power for you :cool:)

smr5

Recruit

Thanks Bluefin.

Intended waters here will be a small local lake, a bay and river boat. Should see some good fishing with it for carp bass pike and catfish.

Spent a good time with the guy. Brought it home for what I feel is a decent price for what it is. Ended up being cheaper or matched with most of the 3 bench 14' tiller boats selling around here. He really fell fanning him with those $100 bills.

Ordered two new seats, new bulb hose filter, and hope to fish for the season as is. When wintxx rolls around a small to notso small resto will be saying hey ya'll.

spegtoast

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrates and good luck. Keep us posted

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help w/ Possible Buy. Ok bought it.

Perfect fishing rig, great score man!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Would certainly make a nice river boat.......in my area that would be Saginaw River. Good luck and enjoy.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

good deal sm5!! nice tactic...hypnotize the seller with a stack of benjamins! :lol: