help w/planning a cruise to the Phillipines

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer
Need some ideas for a vacation cruise. I don't want the comercial 'love boat' now, the love is there, but the rest of it can sink for all i care. while we don't smoke or drink, (tired of waking up on the floor), and don't shop or gamble, this may be boring to alot of ya, but it works for us. The 'barefoot cruise' would be great! except at our age it wouldn't be fun. would like to go to the Phillipines then to tahiti and maybe some other places, a couple of months could be fun! We aren't against flying, but love the sea and rather go by ship, any ideas? I'll be free to go in about a year.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: help w/planning a cruise to the Phillipines

No ideas.... but sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I wish you well.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

some times ya just gotta go and do it! If I wait it may never happen. I have a little saved up, (we live small).<br />Yesterday is gone, were not promised tomorrow, so we make the most of today....sl

Dunaruna

Admiral

IMO I'd stick to a small skippered cruise, maybe 40 or 50 people. Going bareboat in that area has its hazzards. Plenty of cruise companies offering what you're after.<br /><br />Aldo

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

yeah, that's what I am talking about! <br />Aldo, tell me more...sl

Dunaruna

Admiral

The whole mid - sth pacific is a cruising meca but you gota understand that a few of the countries are...how do I say this nicely...3rd world? The Phillipines, Malaysia & Indonesia all have problems with pirates & kidnapping (especially us english speaking white folk), I'm not saying its common, but it does happen. Thats why bareboating ain't a good idea unless you take along an arsenal - but then its not a holiday is it? Take a small organised cruise and you can't go wrong, I've seen boats maybe 'Greg Norman' type , fully catered and 5 star all the way (wife and I are thinking about the same thing for our upcoming 25th). They often cruise the Malaka straits, Tahiti, Fiji, Tonga, Micronesia - you get the picture. Indonesia was a popular area also but for obvious reasons its of the menu now. My personal preference is Tonga & Fiji - magnificent and no political turmoil.<br /><br />I've just did a quick google and found these - I'm sure that there are heaps more.<br /> http://www.smallshipcruises.com/destinations/asia.shtml <br /> http://www.starcruises.com/Fleet/Gemini/index.html <br /> http://www.captaincook.com.au/ <br /><br />Often they will cruise the northern hemisphere in your season and the southern hemisphere in our season so if you contact a local cruiseship company (one that cruises Cal - Alaska for instance) chances are that the same ship comes down south for our summer - worth a try.<br /><br />Aldo

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

steve n carol,<br /><br />Only been on one cruise and didn't know anything about it. Wife and I are AAA members and I used then to make all the arrangements. I was very pleased with AAA and glad that I did. Bottom line, if you don’t know someone that has done what you want to do, you might want to use a professional to get ideas from, make suggestion, and book the trip. Just a suggestion.<br /><br />Enjoy your trip and let us know how much fun you had. Take lots of pics.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

thanks guys for your suggestions.<br />Micronesia, and Fiji sound great and while I haven't looked at Aldo's Goggle pics, I have added them to my favorites, and will check them out later<br />Jim, I am w/AAA, soon with AARP, (hahaha). Thanks again guys....sl

SoulWinner

Commander

Try cruisingworld.com<br /><br />They offer flotilla cruises on mono's and cats that are skippered, and have cruises for the med, Caribbean and pacific.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know if you are set on the tropics, but if not, you should look at the Alaska / Northern Pacific cruises, too. Beautiful scenery, and you will get to go to some places you might never get an opportunity to visit again. (Though that is probably true of a tropical cruise, too.)

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

S/W, I will look into the link, thanks<br />While I dinn't report your avatair, i tried to delete it, so it wouldn't show. Your'e too much. i do like your new one tho...sl<br /><br />Capt. Kidd, Carol and I drove to alaska a year ago last spring. April, May and June.<br />Words just are not enough to describe the wonderful time we had. took 7 weeks in the truck and camper. cool...cold.<br />on the way home we took the ferry from valdez to Bilingham washington. 6 days and nights. Absolutly gorgous! The Inland Passage. That would be a great place to sail boat, the inland passage. If I could have gotten enough gasoline i'd done it in my little boat! It's a good thing I didn't have 4WD. We went places we should not have and had the time of our lives...thanks for the tip though. It's a good one!<br />She has never been to Big Bend. We may get down there before too long. I like east Texas alot. love those piney woods and rolling hills. Austin used to be really great, then it got too big. You can have Houston, it must be the armpit of Texas. Fished Toledo bend and Port Arthur, thats where I saw my fist speckeled trout and salt water catfish! <br /><br />enjoy, nice talkin' at ya...sl

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Chief 101, <br />I went through their classifieds, I wish I'd have seen that when I was 19...sl

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Hey sl, I'm well over the midway point and I still take advantage o' this stuff... :)

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Chief,<br /> must be all of that good cookin'!<br />I've been in the construction trades 30+ years. mostly Structural concrete and masonry. Just wore my body, mostly my joints out...The Babe I married is 64 yrs young...looks 40! acts, 12, thinks she is 22 and turns heads anywhere we go. She wants and will get a new 4X4 in a month. She wanted a pistol, for snakes and mountian lions, (as if she will get the drop on a mountian lion), so we went and she tried out quite a few, ended up w/a titanium .38 spl. she thinks she's bomb when it's on her hip! lotta fun! I posted in saltwater fishing, a story of her and a hookup she was involved in. It was a funny time. I'd post some pic's, but haven't figured out how on this site... Thanks for the encouragement tho. Iam not buired yet...sl