HELP V4 bolt head on shift rod broken off

not racing

Cadet
So I go to change the water pump on my 1988 88 SPL do the research and know the bolt head is hard to get to. Cant see it cant feel it nothing pull the lower carb so I can get a better look. I wasnt crazy the head is missing. Now what anyone with an idea?????? I cant see anyway to drill out whats left. Link is to the bolt head I wish I had on my motor LOL Thanks Brian
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/JohnRudeTips/Pic_oo1_bbc.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: HELP V4 bolt head on shift rod broken off

Don't panic........ it is a pointed bolt and no nut. You might be able to access the pointed side and grab it with a needle nose or a vice grip and screw it right through...... then get a replacement. someone torqued the head off...... but it is an easy fix without drilling.

not racing

Cadet

I wish I checked and its not the original pointed end bolt and its not sticking out. I did try with a small punch to try to get it to turn with no luck. It does look like there might be room with a small angle drill to get to the back side (starboard) and drill it out. thanks for the reply.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 1988 V4 (110) and the shift rod doesn't have a bolt. On my motor there's a pin 3 inches or so below the end of the shift cable on the starboard side. Pull the pin out and push the shift mechanism toward the port side to release the shift rod.

not racing

Cadet

Aerocook That is the answer THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

not racing

Cadet

Ask twice drill once or something like that. Thank you and that is what is great about this forum great answers quickly.