Help Tuning a Carb

DrNo08

Cadet
Bought a 1999 Larson 186 lxi 3 weeks ago w/ 1998 4.3GS PBYC engine and SX outdrive.

A LITTLE HISTORY: Guy I bought it from said the engine was missing last time on the water. He was the 2nd owner and had it only one season. He thought it was a bad carb. Not being a mechanic himself he took it to one who installed a brand new Quadrajet 4 bbl 4.3l-OMC carb. I have the receipt. It was put on June of this year. Guy says mechanic told him that after he took old carb off that he didn't think that he was having carb issues afterall - that he thought it was probably bad gas. Guy still paid for the new carb to be installed, filled up the boat with new gas on top of the old gas, went to the lake and it was still missing badly. He changed jobs and didn't have time to deal with it. I get a good deal on the boat so I buy it. Before even putting it on the water I rebuilt and re-upholstered the engine compartment cover which was falling in. Then drained all the gas from the tank. Had a friend who worked as a marine mechanic for 6 years come over and do a check up on the boat. Checked compression on it and one cylinder was dead and one was weak. Pull the head and had two tuliped intake valves. Had the head fixed and reinstalled a few days later.

THE ISSUE: After reading countless threads/posts on this forum about the possible causes for tuliped valves the general consensus seems to be that its most likely "RUNNING TOO LEAN", followed by "OVER PROPPING". Being the 3rd owner of this boat I have no clue as to how the boat was tuned previously or if it was over propped. The Volvo Penta Manual states that this engine came with a HOLLEY carb, NOT a Quadrajet. So, we are trying to start from scratch with the new head and tune the Quadrajet the way it should be WITHOUT being too lean in order to avoid tuliped valves again (if that was the cause).

WHERE WE ARE TODAY: Engine fires up and runs fine on the muffs. BUT we are having a hell of a time finding specs on this Quadrajet carb (MODEL: "QJE 4.3L-OMC"). Buddy called the former marine place that he worked trying to get specs and they had no info on it. Called autozone where it was purchased and no luck there either. My buddy keeps mentioning the "CFM" for this carb model. Obviously we just need to know how to properly tune this thing. Any guidance on this matter from you fine gentlemen would be more than appreciated. My buddy has got it running smooth at idle on the muffs but without any carb specific specs we feel like we're shooting in the dark. It may not matter but is there possibly any info I can get from the carb itself, like a serial # or something, that can help me locate data that would help us out? Thanks again

This is the carb (only this exact one is for a 5.0, not 4.3): $(KGrHqYOKpME0UnDvv+)BN,FjFNZkw~~_12.jpg

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Help Tuning a Carb

Sorry I can't help much with the Quadrajet tuning, but if it is a Marine QJ then what makes you think it is not jetted correctly now? Also, do you have the original Holley carb? If not, while you are waiting for help here can you maybe locate the original carb? Just sayin'...;)

DrNo08

Cadet

Sorry I can't help much with the Quadrajet tuning, but if it is a Marine QJ then what makes you think it is not jetted correctly now? Also, do you have the original Holley carb? If not, while you are waiting for help here can you maybe locate the original carb? Just sayin'...;)

It may be. We're just wanting to be sure. And I don't have the original carb that came on it.

I emailed a salesman at National Carburetors and he replied "There are no published CFM ratings for these carburetors. They should be in the neighborhood of 500-650 though."

A different salesman replied that the CFM rating was "550-600".

Maclin

Admiral

That sounds about right, CFM wise, for a "little" Quadrajet. The way the air valve over the secondaries can be adjusted let that carb cover a wide range of engines. It is a spreadbore, meaning tiny primaries compered to its' large secondaries. The air valve reacts to air demand from the engine, and when set correctly the same carb can literally be moved from one engine to another with 20 or 30 cubes difference not mattering. The "larger" QJ's can flow up to 800cfm I think. Those and the Carter Thermoquad work the same way in that respect (adjustable air valve secondaries).

To be sure, the 4.3 will be well covered with anything from 500-600.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There has never been a Vortec 4.3 using a Qjet. Mercruiser went to Webber Volvo went to Holley.
The Holley used a square bore carb, does your manifold have the spread bore holes required for the Qjet?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Holley does make a speadbore marine carb #80552. However a holley 500cfm(375cfm when rated like 4bbl) 2bbl is more than enough carb for a 4.3 litre.
About the Qjet; the Quadrajet was made in two CFM models. 750 and 800. The 800 cfm model were only ever used on some Buicks in the very early seventies. Great carb, but do not use an automobile carb on a boat.