HELP! Trying to take apart speed/tilt control arm box, now Stuck!

simon_canada

Cadet
I need to get to the tilt control, as the switch needs replacing...

To do so you have to take off the entire speed control box.

I have gotten it apart, removed the bolts and screws that I can see holding it in place, but I am stuck! It is looser, but won't come apart.

Am I missing something obvious? I want to take the control "arm" off from the main control box, so that I can get at the switch/wiring on the control arm.

See attached image for where I am now:

Any help is much appreciated! It's an OMC / Evinrude setup.

thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• evinrude_control.jpg
    evinrude_control.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HELP! Trying to take apart speed/tilt control arm box, now Stuck!

give me a picture of the other side, please.

simon_canada

Cadet

Here's the other side:

BTW: is there another name for this? perhaps I can spend some more time searching.. but I can't seem to find out what the entire thing is called!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• evinrude_control2.jpg
    evinrude_control2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

the handle should just come out, try taking something smaller and tap the handle out. see green spot.

Attachments

• evinrude_control.jpg
    evinrude_control.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

simon_canada

Cadet

Will try for sure.

There was a bolt there (alan key head), which I removed.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your assistance!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You have to drive the handle out.

Support the remote on blocks so that the handle hangs free. Put the allen head screw back in the center of the handle at the rear and loosen it three complete turns . Insert a punch in the center of the allen head and tap with a soft mallet to disengage the handle splines from the hub splines. Then remove the allen head screw and the handle.

simon_canada

Cadet

Tried the green spot.. first ever so lightly, then with a good solid hammering.. didn't budge any further, or provide any indication that it would continue..

The unit is clearly "loose" but it feels as though there is something keeping it there, that I am not thinking of..

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

simon_canada

Cadet

You have to drive the handle out.

Support the remote on blocks so that the handle hangs free. Put the allen head screw back in the center of the handle at the rear and loosen it three complete turns . Insert a punch in the center of the allen head and tap with a soft mallet to disengage the handle splines from the hub splines. Then remove the allen head screw and the handle.

Tried this as well... and then even added some extra "oomf" and there was nothing loosening or giving anywhere. I followed these instructions to a 'T', but no dice.. perhaps it's seized.. I jut fear damaging the unit in trying to repair it now!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's pretty much right by the book. The only thing that I noticed in your picture was that you don't have the control handle in the neutral position.

simon_canada

Cadet

That's pretty much right by the book. The only thing that I noticed in your picture was that you don't have the control handle in the neutral position.

Still stuck on this one.... even in the "neutral" position.

I am not even sure where I am expecting this to "separate" so that the handle comes out.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking?

Should I be trying to get the entire white plate off (green arrow)
or around the base should slide off at the blue arrow?
Maybe the ridge at the yellow arrow (though this looks to be one piece)
or lastly, should it just be punching out at the screw (which is loosened three full turns as above) - the pink/purple arrow.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• evinrude_control3.jpg
    evinrude_control3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

that handle is reversible, the otherside has the same grooves as the side exposed, must be really rusted in. try some PB Blaster or the like.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Once you have turned the allen head screw out three turns and tapped it with the punch, you have to take the screw out to let the handle go. The screw is the only thing that holds the handle on other than friction.

simon_canada

Cadet

Thanks ALL!!!

It's free!

A little de-greaser, and a wider punch (screw removed), seemed to do the trick. It definitely had never been taken off, so this was 20 years of sticking in the making!

thanks again - you guys are fantastic help!

Problem 1 is now solved, now out to try and test the rectifier (though there are a few good threads on that!)

Cheers!

JoshLaw

Cadet

I love this site, and the search function. I have the same issue, I need to replace the red neutral lever, and I didn't know how to get that handle off. I was nowhere close to getting it out, and I probably would have broken it if I kept at it like I was. Thanks guys!

mrhaney

Cadet

yep good job guys im at the same place ,have had the control box on the table in the house aggggravating the tar out of me . great post

vik 44

Cadet

I have the same unit is there a warning buzzer on this one i need to replace that as well!! And is this easy to do?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you look at the pict in post #10 you'll see a black square box with some purple wires and a tan wire going to it. That is the warning horn.

By the way this post is over two yrs old. You should check the forum rules at the top of the forum.